EGR + EGR Cooler?

AudiSport

Reaction score
Team,

I've recently bought a 2010 A4 3.0TDI quattro, and the engine light has come on. A local garage has diagnosed it as the EGR valve, and looking through service records this has already been cleaned by the previous owner for the same problem - which clearly wasn't fixed! My question is, should I replace the EGR Valve Cooler at the same time? It's about the same cost again, I don't want to to it unless I have too - however I understand Audi do this as standard. Do you have any experience of this?

The car has 97k miles with full Audi MD history on long life intervals.

Thanks in advance, I need to make a decision by Monday, so your input is much appreciated!

To answer your question. No you don't need to change the EGR cooler at the same time if there is no fault with it.

You don't have to. But i bet it's clogged up to buggary.

Thanks lads, all sorted now, had both the egr and cooler replaced in the end. Total cost £750 using genuine parts.

****** hell. I've just put one on my A4 and it cost £240. A valeo one and took an hour.

The genuine parts for this are £436.10 + vat! Did you replace the EGR Valve and EGR Cooler?

Wow - can you share the company you brought the genuine parts from at such a discounted price? Will be good for future members to save ££££.

straight swap yeah.
A little fiddly because of the gap. Still not too bad though.

Got the EGR issue on a 2013 A4 2.0TDI 177... Is it worth trying to clean it using something like Bardhal's valve cleaning kit/spray?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Was your car recalled for the software update as it's a 2.0 TDI.Check for fault codes . sprays and potions sometimes help for a bit if it is an EGR issue but they tend to be temporary solutions.

I think they did flash it the last time but when I called the dealership yesterday they told me that they didn't...which is unlikely...
Since I'm not looking fwd to forking out 1k and spend months discussing which portion of it they're liable for I'd rather fixed it myself but that falls a bit outside my field of expertise...
In the meantime what are the potential risks of driving around till I get it sorted out?
It has gone into limp mode once on each of the 4 long trips I've been on over the last 6 months. A quick pit stop solved it each time but I am wondering if I can end up damaging something like the turbo... I'm off on a road trip to France tomorrow and I'll probably add a good 2.5k over the course of next week. Wouldn't want to end up on the side of the road with my 2 years old like an idiot... What do you guys reckon?

@briceportier the EGR working is a pre-requisite of DPF regens. So the car will not perform regens if there are faults which could in turn lead to a blocked DPF and a BIG £££££ bill for a new DPF or professional DPF Cleaning + Forced Regen.

I cleaned mine out around this time last year. Stripped it down and soaked it in petrol and gunk for a day. Came up nicely. But this year is started playing up. I found the channels in the cooler very hard to clean out and frankly not worth the hassle.
Mister auto is nice and cheap for a valeo one and it's easy enough on a drive to change.

Do you have a link to the exact part by any chance?