1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGR cooler

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by motormouth11, Feb 11, 2014.

1. motormouth11

motormouth11 New Member

Hi folks,

Got an engine management light on yesterday on my MY11 A3 2.0 TDI (41,000mls) and lost power.

Booked in to Audi and left it with them, got a call same day saying its the EGR cooler, being done today 5 hr job apparently, just glad i've got 3 months Audi warranty left or was looking at a BIG bill.

I've searched the net and can only find examples of this problem on older audis and the 1.6 TDI in skodas etc.

Is this common in the 2.0 TDI CR?

cheers,andy
  2. taffymanA5

taffymanA5 New Member

Hi Andy just had a call from main dealer my 3.0 TDI 08 needs a new EGR valve....out of warranty gonna cost a big fat £795.32 fully fitted :-(((( like you couldn't find to much info on the web most of the stuff was a couple of years old......bit of a shock as only had it 4 months with 51k.
  3. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

I have had the same problem with a golf. Its all to do with not driving them as designed and lots of short journeys. The EGRs just clog and on the new CR engines you cant clean them like you could with the BKDs. they are also now tucked behind the turbo which means the sub frame has to be dropped, engine supported, exhaust off etc etc. Hence a 5 hours job.

It would have been worse. you could have needed a dfp as well for a total bill of around £ 2K.

Precisely the reason I have gone back to a petrol powered car. They are literally ticking time bombs. Have a look over on TDI club, there is a massive thread on them.
  4. matt66604

matt66604 Member

I can confirm the egr cooler is a fairly common problem on A3 2.0 Tdi's and the 1.6's where it's mounted round the back and the A1's, some of them can leak internally but most commonly they sieze internally.. audi has released a bulletin about it.... also A4's, A5's , A6's , Q3's.. anything that uses the side mounted EGR cooler above the turbo...
  5. Best84

Best84 Member

With that bill I would defiantly be looking at having it mapped out and removing it!!
  6. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

But risking possible MOT failure.
  7. Best84

Best84 Member

I've never heard of a diesel failing on emissions. I dont think they even stick the pipe in at my local mot station, ill check within the next week as it due :D
  8. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

Diesel taken for a good run before MOT will rarely fail emissions.

You wouldn't piss in your own glass of water so why would you leave the EGR in there? If/when mine goes wrong it's coming straight out...