EGR Clean gone has gone wrong

Ironborn

English...not so good
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Car felt sluggish, so I had a go at removing the EGR, it was clean as a whistle. Reached my fingers inside the intake could barely feel any soot. The EGR Cooler pipe I think it is, the long and thin pipe to the right was heavy clogged, didn’t know how to remove it so I clean the best I could, not very much. Fitted everything back. I also cleaned the maf with contact clean.

Car felt better, not for long. I pulled over opened the bonnet the coolant looked low so I opened to top up, the coolant rises and could see hot steam coming out. Never seen both of those things happen before messing around with the EGR. Pulled over 2 more times and the coolant rises every time I open, the coolant reservoir.

The power is so inconstant, it just keeps coming and going,. What could be wrong? I have also not see the fans working for a while, when are they normally on? Car is not overheating, heaters are working except for air con, that stuck on econ. Smokes white/ SLIGHT blue I thinksmoke on start up, but that’s been happening for years. Boost pipes are fine. Car is 53 2.0TDI. Any help would be much appreciated

In my diesel focus I sprayed egr cleaner up the inlet manifold whilst someone revved the car, I assume this is ok for your car too. It he cleaner tries to pulverise the carbon build up to clean it out.

Car felt better, not for long. I pulled over opened the bonnet the coolant looked low so I opened to top up, the coolant rises and could see hot steam coming out. Never seen both of those things happen before messing around with the EGR. Pulled over 2 more times and the coolant rises every time I open, the coolant reservoir.

That's what it does naturally, water expands when hot, hence you check the level when the car is cold.