EGR blanking plates

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Which of you TDIers is after a EGR blanking plates?

I've made two and will to make some more if needed.

these are for the bit behind the egr valve it self. Ill get pics up soon as I can.

ok, well. my plan is a little bit flawed.
The metal I used was/is to thin.
It does not make a complete seal in the middle so still leaks a little bit.
But, if you use it with the EGR in place it appears to work.
I'll test it for a bit and report back with my finding.

I inserted a high quality plate fabricated from top grade sardine tin, had a significant effect and leads me to believe my egr although electronically disabled is mechanically defective. However i don't expect it to last long, the exahust gas is pretty corrosive. 2mm stainless is the way to go i am told, so if you're using something similar i'd be interested.

I would have had one but I'm planning on selling up now so don't need one anymore.

I inserted a high quality plate fabricated from top grade sardine tin, had a significant effect and leads me to believe my egr although electronically disabled is mechanically defective. However i don't expect it to last long, the exahust gas is pretty corrosive. 2mm stainless is the way to go i am told, so if you're using something similar i'd be interested.

Mine is made from some random sheet metal I found in work. lol
I bought the EGR blanking plates from Ebay first which blankes off the exhaust and the the other side of the EGR.
But this it leaking oil (there is a post about it some where, i'll try and dig it out) and want to blank off the inlet side of the EGR and remove it fully.
But the 2-3mm sheet I got does not creat a good enough seal in the middle.
I just inserted the blank I made between the EGR and the inlet manifold and it seems ok.
I really need something thicker, Like that Symun has.

I have a sheet of mild steel in work 3 foot square and 4mm thick, but dont own a water jet.
Big *** angle grinder? :)

I have a grinder and was enroled in an evening class doing metalwork and welding, but i smashed my hand up in work a few months ago which has left me with 3 fingers on my right hand not working properly so i cant hold any power tools.

blackwagon who has been posting on my thread in the diesel forum says he used mild steel but it corroded through, hence the move to stainless
i was thinking on using exhaust gasket sealant to help seal the joint, have you tried anything or are you just using the exisiting gaskets?
If you make a template out of something thin that you can clip or hacksaw to shape then you could take it to your local blacksmith/machine shop/kids resistant materials (you may like me recognise this as what was metalwork or woodwork) workshop and get them to cut a thicker version for you.

Does anyone have exact hole centres and dimensions for these plates and I might be able to get some made in stainless or titanium?