Educate my salesman

Kontraband

Reaction score
My cars nearly here, finally, and I want to check I've got everything I need sorted. Ive mentioned some things to my sales guy and he's been a little unaware....

From reading on here, I understand I can have these wants. Am I correct?

1. The dashboard lights only to be on when the lights are (I have auto lights)
2. The emergency hazards to fire up on emergency brakes

Is there anything else over what normally falls out the dealerships that I might be interested in tweeking?? Or can someone point me in the direction of tweeks?!

TIA.
:icon_thumright:

Sales guys sometimes wont know about those stuff. Even though they sell cars for a living
1) it's might just be a job for them, not a passion
2) there are too many models, and they cant know all

Try to speak to a techie on your visits to the dealership, or invest in your own vag-com.

1 - yes

Select 17 (Instruments)
Coding -> Function 07
The last digit controls the instrument lighting when the exterior lights are off.

Mine has just needles lit (which I think is a 7). You can change the values from 0 to 9. I think 0-4 is for US and 5-9 EU.

The options are (I think) :
0/5 No Lighting
1/6 Back Lighting
2/7 Needles
3/8 Both
4/9 ?

2 - yes

Select 09 (Central Electronics)
Long Coding -> Function 07
Byte 17 Bit 0 Emergency Brake Flash Light active

Check this post for more bits and bobs that can be enabled by VAG-COM.

Boggysv - yeah, I understand that sometimes they won't know all the in's and out's of every audi...

hence why I just wanted to be sure before I speak to him telling him I can do something that he might not know. I have what I believe to be a very good relationship with the sales guy, but as you say, they dont always know everything. :) Thanks for the suggestions tho.

The dashboard illumination is normally only on when you're main lights are on. I had mine changed so that they are on all time. This used to be the case with all my previous A3s.

You may want to decide which type of remote central locking you want. The standard is one press to open the drivers door only and a double press to open all doors. I had mine changed to a single press to open all doors. Also automatic locking at 15mph is standard but can be deactivated if you want.

These were the only 're-coding' I asked my dealer to do before delivery.

Check this post for more bits and bobs that can be enabled by VAG-COM.

Remember the dealer does not use VAG-COM to look at these codes. The use the much more sophisticated VAG 5051 Computer Diagnostic System which is only available to dealers. The codes may well be the same but to be on the safe side just tell them what you want rather than just giving them code details. From what I've seen when a technician was doing some changes on my car it has a more detailed menu system than VAG-COM.

Mark/Dave, many thanks... thats pretty much exactly what Im after...

h5djr said:
The dashboard illumination is normally only on when you're main lights are on. I had mine changed so that they are on all time. This used to be the case with all my previous A3s.
That's useful to know.

I find it a pain when you drive through a heavily shadowed road, and the lights don't come on. You are left with dark unreadable dials.

mfspen said:
That's useful to know.

I find it a pain when you drive through a heavily shadowed road, and the lights don't come on. You are left with dark unreadable dials.

The needles, however, are always lit.

Some evening you are bored, park up in a dark spot, turn off your lights, and then turn up the illumination on your instrument cluster to the maximum. The red light from the needles casts a rather nice glow across the numbers to either side of the needle. I'd like to have my instrument cluster set up like that, except for the fact that all the other backlighting on the various buttons and the AirCon are also at maximum illumination which makes it all too bright.

I'll try to post a photo to show what I mean for those of you who don't get bored of an evening!

h5djr said:
Remember the dealer does not use VAG-COM to look at these codes. The use the much more sophisticated VAG 5051 Computer Diagnostic System which is only available to dealers. The codes may well be the same but to be on the safe side just tell them what you want rather than just giving them code details. From what I've seen when a technician was doing some changes on my car it has a more detailed menu system than VAG-COM.

I knew it wasn't VAG-COM they used, but just added the codes for reference in case any other members wanted to do it themselves.

The only one that they may not set for you is the audible confirmation of alarm set and un-set.

I've heard talk of EU rules regarding noise polution.

Paul

heh heh, yeah... its been tenatively discussed...

The world should operate on the currency of beer... it would be a good place...

though Id probably be skint... so maybe not?! ;)

My pod was lit constantly by default and is the way I prefer it, looks much better. It does of course go off if it gets dark to remind you to put your lights on. However I tend to leave the lights on Auto so pod is illumintaed all the time.

eh? So if the dash is lit up all the time, the only time it goes off is if its dark and you dont have your lights on??

eh? So if the dash is lit up all the time, the only time it goes off is if its dark and you dont have your lights on??

Yes that's it. The go off when it's getting dark and your main lights are not on to remind you to put your lights on.

h5djr said:
Remember the dealer does not use VAG-COM to look at these codes. The use the much more sophisticated VAG 5051 Computer Diagnostic System which is only available to dealers.

Why not buy your own VAS 5051? There's one on eBay, it's a little pricey though.....

f893_12.JPG

JohnS3 said:
Why not buy your own VAS 5051? There's one on eBay, it's a little pricey though.....

yeah, just a bit... I have no where near that amount of beer in my garage! ;)

The one eBay is a VAS 5052, the portable version. The VAS 5051 is mounted on it's own trolley. If that's the price of the 5052 I wonder how much the 5051 costs. Probably as much as the car!

Educate my salesman

Basically kick him in the bo--ocks, saves all the later frustration :icon_thumright:

hahaha, wait.. he's cool... I dont need to kick him in the balls yet..

Ive heard other comments though about the service department!

LOL - just read this thread

Easier to solve world peace than educate any audi dealer!!

world peace... ive heard of that

educated audi salesman... pretty sure this is a myth

mfspen said:
That's useful to know.

My dials are off when the lights are off, but my needles are on ( a nice white glow ) also as a rule i tend to drive using the digital speedo as my main source of speed reading! anybody else use the digital speedo as there speedo?

p