EDL or ABS Playing Up??

Do not fit Alterpower! A technician here has had experience of a similar system. It can interfere with SMG systems and has been proven in the past!

Can anyone shed any light on this, whilst the we have a bit of snow and ice.

When I pull away and get a bit of wheelspin there is a noise coming from the front end, that sounds very similar to when you stomp on the brakes and the ABS kicks in. (that graunching sound) As if the ABS sensors are working whilst the wheels are spinning.

Is this normal, does it happen in everyone elses car?

The car is a MY00 S3, (no traction control).

Paul, your car has ESP which includes stability software, throttle traction control and electronic differential lock.

The juddering under wheelspin below 30mph is the classic sound of EDL working, by applying a braking force to one (spinning) wheel, torque can be transferred to the other side of the axle in an attempt to overcome the non mechanically locking diffs tendancy to put torque to the least resistive wheel. AFAIK on the S3, the throttle is usually cut first when wheelspin is encountered (the traction control) but perhaps in the snow, the EDL comes in as a second line effect.

EDL used to be standard fare on the a3 1.8Ts before ESP/ASR etc was introduced and to be honest, it made a alot of noise, but gave no more forward motion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
I can now enjoy my drive home in the snow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky git!! We got a little last night bad had gone by morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
We had a real fall of snow last night in and around Aberdeen.

I enjoyed my drive into work today, especially overtaking a line of traffic using a crawler lane which hadn't been cleared! People must have thought I was mad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif