ECU Transplant - HELP!

S3PEG

Reaction score
Does anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to replace the ECU of a pre-facelift S3 with a second hand ECU from another pre-facelift S3?

Thanks

Oh, should've mentioned, I'm considering this because I had a fault code "(17978 (P1570) Engine Control Module Blocked - INTERMITTENT" last time I ran VAG COM. Also, got "16486 (P0102) Mass or Volume air flow circuit low input - INTERMITTENT" which is connected (I think!). Can anyone shed any light on this?

Its not a simple swap as they are coded to the car, not sure if you can re-code it with VAG COM of it it a dealer only job. Im sure Tuftybloke or Badger5 Bill will know the definative answer, they seem to be the fonts of all knowledge on here.

Ive just literally swapped my ecu in my pre facelift s3 in the past hour.

I called up a local guy to do the coding my ecu was the 1st issue (8N0 906 018) later cars will have a similar number but with two letters after aswell.

I was told you can only replace the ecu with one with the same ecu code.

Your best bet would be to get the exact ecu you need and do a straight swap and then pay for the coding, i know mine only required the key coding.

For an ecu call up 'sandburns' in coventry 02476 637376

They have loads of ecus in stock for our cars on the shelf and are resonably priced.

hope this helps
Callum

Mine got water in it and fried several of the resistors.

teach me for washing my car!

Cal