ECU replaced - Now lack of power?? Advice welcome

Mad-Dog

Reaction score
I had a spectacular light show on the driveway. Nicely performed by my car. The fog lights came on, then intermittently the wiper washers, indicators, headlights (high and low beam) and left and right independently.
I called the RAC who came out but couldn't identify the problem. They took the car back to the Audi dealer who diagnosed the problem. Turns out to be an electrical failure. The cause seemed to have been leaves filling the drain at the bottom of the windscreen where the wipers rest. The leaves blocked the drain and water leaked down inside the cabin soaking the drivers side footwell. They say the water had run through the ECU which shorted the electrics and caused the light show. The fact that water had made its way into the car means it's not covered by warranty. The dealer did however remove the carpet, dry the interior, fix the blocked drain and water leak and then replaced the ECU free of charge as a good will gesture. All great service. Couldn't be happier with East Kent Audi.
BUT.... There seems to be a real lack of power now. I have a B8 2.0 tdi , 170bhp. Is it possible that they could have replaced the ECU and mapped it only to 143bhp? I'm not sure how they set up a new ECU. Can anyone tell me how it works?
Is there anyway i can tell if it is still 170bhp?

You could get take it to a Rolling Road and see the figures, or you could get a passenger with a stopwatch and a flat quite straight piece of road and go off the 0-60 time recorded.

Did you buy the car new or used ? If you bought the Car used it could of been remapped without you knowing so when they replace the ECU it might be at 170 but it will feel less as it will not be remapped.

wasitthe main ecu they changed or the 1 inder the front seat

You could get take it to a Rolling Road and see the figures, or you could get a passenger with a stopwatch and a flat quite straight piece of road and go off the 0-60 time recorded.

Did you buy the car new or used ? If you bought the Car used it could of been remapped without you knowing so when they replace the ECU it might be at 170 but it will feel less as it will not be remapped.
Audi Dynamik. I bought the car used. Maybe it was already mapped. It did go very well. Certainly feels different now.

wasitthe main ecu they changed or the 1 inder the front seat
Hi bez101,
i dont know which one they changed actually. I didn't realise there were two. I will call them tomorrow and find out.

So i called the dealer and explained the problem. They have booked me in for a chat and test drive with their senior technician to see what the problem is, but not til the end of the month.

Bez, they replaced the main ECU under the bonnet on the drivers side.

They told me that the ECU for a 143 is different from the 170. So there was no way that they could have put the incorrect one in the car as it the car would not accept the incorrect ECU. Does that sound right?

Update. I took the car into the dealer for them to look a the loss of power issue. And the ****** car seems to have rectified itself. I drove about 60 miles with a combination of city and motorway driving. After a long run on the motorway the power returned. By the time the service technician drove it it was pulling strong in each gear.
While i had no power i was only getting about 28mpg. Now the car is getting an average 38mpg over the last 300miles.
They said that it was most likely the DPF blocked and cleared itself on the motorway drive when the car exhaust was hot. Does that sound feasible?

Does sound feasible! What sort of driving do you normally do urban motorways etc?

I live in London and do mostly city driving. IT certainly has sorted itself out now though.
Although i think i am used to the new 170bhp power. Coming from a petrol 1.6 Golf it used to feel impressive. Now i have done a few miles in the A4 i guess i am just used to it. Still love it though, glad i upgraded.