ECU Removal

cozziepj

Reaction score
hi im new here not long bought a a3 1.8t quattro and have been hunting the internet for info on them and found this site, which seem very good as i cannot find much info elsewhere on the net for a3s.

I need to remove my ecu to get it remapped by a company in england, im not exactly sure where my ecu is can some1 tell me? is it easy enough to remove and will it cause any problems when i plug it back in? thanks

most company's (decent ones anyway) don't go anywhere near the ECU to upgrade it. My map was done through the pc port(the proper name escapes me) inside the car.

If you really must remove your ecu it is in the centre of the engine bay at the back, need to remove wipers and scuttle panel first then you can get to it.

its ecu evolutions there advertising on ebay, i think its jus basic stage 1 map and they seem to have good feedback for the maps they do, for 99 pound i thought it be worth ago

Aha, personally I woudn't touch a map that hasn't built up a decent reputation for itself.

I have a custom Code and am very happy with it, if CC didnt exist I am fairly sure I would have a REVO.

they say u get a 30 day money back if im not happy and will put it back to standard map, so cant see how id go rong long as they dont fry my ecu lol

I wouldnt touch them ,

Go for a decent or known company my ecu was taken out as the map was a custom one and it decided to shut down so had to be rebooted . Dont go with anything on ebay it will be **** ..

There's enough places in Scotland that could do your car that you don't need to send your ECU away. If you need some backup in the future, how will you get it?

I reckon all the major software writers have an outlet within an hours drive of you.

Gavin

my ecu was taken out as the map was a custom one and it decided to shut down so had to be rebooted .

Hi,

Just for clarity it wasnt the fact the code we were applying was custom, it was simply the flash tool fell over during the burn (very rare with the particular tool being used), & we needed to recover the ECU in boot mode hence its removal.

Regards
Morgan

Most reputable remap company's should not need to physically 'have' your ECU to load a map. Just plug into the OBD and load it that way. I would also be suspicious of the price.....£99 compared to usually £300, the saying "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Also you will be without a car during the time it takes to post the ECU and recieve it back!

I would hate for you to have your nice A3 ruined for the sake of it being 'cheap'.:ermm:

The ECU is in the bulkhead in front of the wiper motor on th edrivers side, in black water tight box. The lid is secured by 8mm head bolts make sure you remove them all.

Dont remove the ECU dude, get it mapped properly, theres no point getting a decent car and 'crapping' it up.

Now i have no experience of the company in question, but as already mentioned, you get what you pay for. They say that you get a 30 day guarantee, but what happens if something happens after that???

Most reputable companies, will let you go back and they will check the car and map for you properly.

Ask the question on here and lots of people will give you very good and useful feedback on remaps that are available.

Hope that helps
Nilz

Yep sersiously don't do it mate! Also most good tuning companies once they've remapped your car will take it out for a drive to check it runs absolutely fine.. and tweak it if neccesary. They're obv not going to be able to do that for you!

Hi cozziepj

We can offer you 2 options,we have 2 agents in Scotland that can carry out the software upgrade on your A3 or you can send us your ECU to Custom-Code HQ

Please see http://www.custom-code.co.uk/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=18&Itemid=40 for full Custom-Code agent listings

Price wise you are looking at £305.90 inc VAT

If you would like any more information please feel free to call us on 01246 455004

Haha, nice one CC-HQ, strike whilst the iron is hot.

What year is your car? IIRC, the early A3 cannot be reprogrammed via the OBD socket. The ECU needs to be removed.

picked up on this thread because its something Im considering myself.

The company states if they come out to you and map the car it will be 225 + petrol to get to wherever you are... HOWEVER

if you want to save money and have it done for £99 if you send in the ECU they will load the remap on to it and send it back. The discount is because they dont have to come out.

Cant see why not to give it a go at that money personally, If its rubbish i can have my money back if not happy

hi im new here not long bought a a3 1.8t quattro and have been hunting the internet for info on them and found this site, which seem very good as i cannot find much info elsewhere on the net for a3s.

I need to remove my ecu to get it remapped by a company in england, im not exactly sure where my ecu is can some1 tell me? is it easy enough to remove and will it cause any problems when i plug it back in? thanks

??Wha..??
You need a google upgrade - there's tons of info on the web regarding the A3/S3 - don't forget to also look at VW, SEAT and Skoda forum sites as well.

Regarding a re-map, there's probably 100's of threads on this forum alone discussing remaps - just need to use the search button.

However, the main ones tend to be:
Revo
Custom Code
AMD
APR
MTM
Oettinger
ABT

This is an old thread.....

Still I suggest going with tried and tested.

I wouldnt be taking my ECU out and posting it to anyone.

Plenty of decent remappers about...AVOID EBAY!!!!!. You wont know who you're dealing with.

They are a reasonably respected company around here. I am sure you could get a worse map for more money.If you can afford to be car less for a few days, may be worth a go. I would however invest in vagcom to keep a check on the inevitable failiures of componants that would end up failing premeturely due to increased load.

on a dying thread..what does IIRC stand for..its doing me head in!

thought it was technical..like oem ..dont even fully know what that means

always wondered what oem stood for, what happened with that thread about only using the english languish hey!

(I never thought i was that old not to understand this sort hand!)