ecu and wiring loom questions

sam80quattro

Reaction score
im busy putting a 1.8t out of an n reg a4 into a 90quattro, and its getting close to wiring it up. before i knew about the 3"maf and bigger injectors working to up the power i bought a chipped ecu off ebay as it was a decent price however i don't like the big rubber surround the harness has where it runs along the back of the bulkhead, so i went to re-read the thread about alternative ecu's and then spotted the picture of the 2 ecu's 1 on top of the other, and noticed the ecu i bought is different to both lol i have a hraness and ecu off a 98 a6 1.8t so not too worried.
anyhoo, questions:-

1. What is this ecu for? 4B0 906 018 AA
2. if the agu ecu fits on a b5 loom(which ever1 it fits), surely the agu harness will fit the ecu lol so i can make the wiring look a bit neater???

Thats an A6 1.8T drive by wire ECU i think.

Is your ECU the 2 plug type like shown in the pics? Anything else is from a very early Car.

As you have said, the AGU loom will connect to the ECU and operate it no worries *** uming you can get around the immo

AGU is a transverse engine, so the loom isnt going to be the right shape.

Early A4 ECU's have different plugs to the later ones.

Your ECU (4B0 906 018 AA) is from an APU engined A4 or Passat, i'm sure APU is drive by wire though, not a cable throttle, so isnt compatible with the AEB engine you have.

The ECU number above come from the A6?

Whats the part number of your chipped ecu?

it is a 2 plug type but were theres 4 bigger pins on them ecu's theres 5 on either side of this 1 :( it needs to be dbc :( can anyone give me a definate answer? do the sensors on the engine have the same plugs between agu and aeb? as i seem to remember hearing something about different shape plugs... might have been dreaming though haha

Your confusing me!

The part number of the ECU you gave me is for a DBW car, it is not compatible with your engine.

The harness on the AGU is layed out for a transverse engine, so isnt going to integrate too easily in your longitudinally mounted engine.

What exact parts do you have?

lol i was writing my post when you posted yours, hence the confusion.
chipped ecu is 4B0 906 018 AA so thats dbw and no use.
i have the original harness and ecu for the engine im using, which ive been told can't have the immo disabled/removed, so i bought a 2 plug a6 dbc ecu and harness so i could have the immo removed but that also has the rubber lump attached to it, so i was looking for a harness that didn't have that attached lol

the engine from the '95 car will have IMMO1, its a super simple system and easy to either recode to your car, or bypass. My dad had a B3 Audi 80 years ago that had IMMO1, so its just a case of coding your cars immo unit to the engine ecu, or if your car doesnt have it, adding it.

Why not just cut the rubber thing off (carefully)?

What year is your car?

its an F reg, do you happen to know how to go about it? it definately doesnt have any immobiliser at the minute. bypassing it sounds more like it lol the thing is i will be running a garrett t28 off a s14 200sx, large front mount, 3" downpipe into 2.5" exhaust, bigger maf and injectors, i take it i'm no better off using the later dbc ecu as opposed to the early 1? or should i just go straight for the agu ecu?

The advantage of the AGU ECU is that its easier to remap, it can be "flashed" on the bench. The A4 ECU's have to have their chip removed and reprogrammed. The problem with the early multi-plug A4 ECU's are that the chips are no longer available and arent rewritable afaik.

To keep the immo, you'd need an immo box and matching key from a late audi 80 or an early a4, you'd also need the ignition barrel from a late audi 80 so you can steal the pickup coil from it.

Then its just a case of fitting the immo capsule from the matched key, to your cars key, wiring up the immo box to the ECU, and resyncing the immobox and the ECU with vagcom. Or alternatively get a complete matching lock set, and keys, and the immobox from a late model 80 and transfer it all into your car.

You should be able to do this with either the AGU or original AEB ecu.

If you want to bypass the immo altogether you can find boxes on ebay to do that for you, however personally i'd rather the immo was working. I'm installing an Audi V8 into my Landrover Defender, and the immo will most certainly be remaining present!

cheers for the information. do you happen to know of a suitable wiring diagram for wiring up the immo box to the ecu. thanks