1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECU Adaptation/Learning

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by RGS3, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RGS3

RGS3 Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    Ok, so we know that the S3 (20tfsi, 1.8t) can sometimes get a little bit lazy after a while - quite a few threads in the past but no definitive answers. I've had this on my last 3 S3's - one day it feels responsive and quick and another day it seems sluggish. My first 8L S3 used to have the battery disconnected almost every weekend to "reset" its responsiveness. The last two cars I've fiddled with air filters, new MAF, coilpacks, sparks, DV - which never helped as much as disconnecting the battery

After trading in my S3 for another newer S3 I was hoping it was the older car that just somehow wasnt up to the extra power that the Bluefin was giving. Nope - the new one behaves just the same after a week or running round.

In the past I've reset the ECU adaptations by disconnecting the battery, I also read recently that you can also do the same by removing the ECU fuse or, which sounds better is to do a DTC reset with Vag-Com - even if there are no DTC's this apparently resets any adaptation or learning that the ECU has done - is that true ? The Bluefin handset can read DTC's (apparently) but its never found any - even though Vag-Com shows them up so I guess the handset is no use to reset it.

Next, is there a way of seeing what parameters have been altered in the ECU by the engine ? Is it fueling, air, timing, throttle body thats getting adjusted. If I knew what was getting "learned" then I'd know if its **** petrol, am I driving it too sedately at times, could it be things like oil quality - or perhaps the temperature outside. Or is it the bluefin. Either way it starts nice and gets dull after a week or so. Any ideas on how this adaptation works, how to reset it or more importantly find out whats getting changed ? I almost feel that reseting whats its learnt could be a bad thing as the car is obviously not happy when its at its most responsive and thats why it changes stuff.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. RGS3

RGS3 Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    Just to add - the DTC's that I see are directly after using the handset to put the map onto the car - something about voltage - so I dont think thats an issue as my last two cars have done that.
  4. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    I can't say I've ver noticed this or perhaps acredited the cars behaviour to this, I do notice that the car has good days but usually put this down to atmospheric pressures and temps etc so this could be an interesting thread if someone has some light to shed on it.

On the subject of ECU resetting when you revert to standard with the bluefin unit, then reload, does this not have the same affect ?
  5. dc240969

dc240969 Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    Atmos pressures is what l reckon, temps etc.
  6. RGS3

RGS3 Member

[Feb 1, 2010]
    Spin - Yes - when setting back to stock and then putting the map back on this resets it nicely for a while. However, with bluefin it takes a while to put back to stock then reload the map (40mins to an hour). Was looking for a quicker way, not keen on the battery way really. I've used Vag-Com tonight to clear DTC codes - even though there isnt any - will be interesting to see if that clears the learned data too.
  7. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[May 20, 2010]
    i've just spent quite a bit of time reading people's opinions about ECU adaption to mods and your driving style.
    My day to drive is extremely sedate with majority of it 40mph avg speed cameras- where i can achieve over 40 MPG!
    More recently however, after fitting a new intake especially, i've been using my cars performance a lot more, and for sustained periods, driving against other cars or takin mates for a drive.

I kno its probably partly form the short -ram intake, that is the Neuspeed, which hurts low-end torque a bit, but since more spirited driving my turbo does seem to start making boost a good few hundred rpms later then before, but comes in more abruptly then before too.
    Do you think is solely down to the intake, with its shorter path etc being better for mid range /top end air flow, or also partly down to the fact there has been some ECU adaptation and timing/N75 changes for example?
    I know the ECU learns over a long period of time and stores data for hours and hours, so stores a wide range of values to get it mean values, but do you think my change in driving style has caused some of this change?
  8. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[May 21, 2010]
    I really wish you could turn off this Learning ****, it is stupid to think a car should tell you how you want to drive it.
  9. RGS3

RGS3 Member

[May 21, 2010]
    the ECU learning has bugged me on my last 3 S3's. I did find that using Vag-Com to do a DTC Reset (even when there isnt any DTC's) seems to clear some of whats been learnt and makes the car feel a bit more spritely again. Not sure if thats the same as unloading then reloading the bluefin which also seems to freshen it up.
  10. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[May 21, 2010]
    i'm going to disconnect my battery tommorow and see if makes a difference. The car definately behaves slightly differently now and dnt think its just the new intake/