Economy drop on a TDi, any suggestions?

Eftwyrd

Reaction score
Hi all,

The past few weeks I don't seem to be getting the economy I have done in the past. Taking it easy on the commute to work I used to regularly get 45-50mpg, I'm currently struggling to get 40ish.

The engine is a 2.0 CR170 TDi (Revo), are there any common problems that could cause a drop in economy?

Not sure whether to just put it down to colder weather, or the new wheels/suspension. Bit find t hard to believe either would have such a large effect.

Maybe a change in fuel quality, have you used different garage by any chance?

Always use v-power diesel, mostly from the same garage too so would doubt it is that, allegedly fuel filter was changed 10k ago, what is the normal lifespan on one?

Check filter if you question this, but maybe try another garage to be sure.

Cold weather ususally results in a drop in economy

if you have fitted new wheels then they could be heavier / larger meaning you are carrying extra weight.

i fit 16's come the winter months and the difference in economy between them and my 18's is noticeable

Yes, agree drop in weather temp increases fuel consumption.

Reactions: IceHanger
Noticed the same here - defo due to cold weather, lost about 5 -10 miles per gallon but back up to normal today

Hi all,

The past few weeks I don't seem to be getting the economy I have done in the past. Taking it easy on the commute to work I used to regularly get 45-50mpg, I'm currently struggling to get 40ish.

The engine is a 2.0 CR170 TDi (Revo), are there any common problems that could cause a drop in economy?

Not sure whether to just put it down to colder weather, or the new wheels/suspension. Bit find t hard to believe either would have such a large effect.

Check tyre pressures, tyre wear (esp. if you've had suspension work - had a decent alignment done?).

I too have noticed a drop in fuel consupmtion on my tdi170 and i use millers eco max addative on every fillup.It must be the cold weather.I had the same on my mk4 Golf 150 before this one.Hope it gets warmer soon to allay our fears!!