1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECL and Misfire Help!

Grey Goose Sep 13, 2017

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose New Member

Can anyone help with the below VCDS scan?

Code:
    000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
                   P0300 - 001 -  - MIL ON
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 11100001
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 4
                        Reset counter: 255
                        Mileage: 121977 km
                        Time Indication: 0
                        Date: 2017.09.12
                        Time: 00:16:54

Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 740 /min
                        Load: 18.8 %
                        Speed: 0.0 km/h
                        Temperature: 86.0°C
                        Temperature: 24.0°C
                        Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
                        Voltage: 14.097 V

000771 - Cylinder 3
                   P0303 - 001 - Misfire Detected - MIL ON
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 11100001
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 4
                        Reset counter: 255
                        Mileage: 121977 km
                        Time Indication: 0
                        Date: 2017.09.12
                        Time: 00:16:54

Freeze Frame:
                        RPM: 740 /min
                        Load: 18.8 %
                        Speed: 0.0 km/h
                        Temperature: 86.0°C
                        Temperature: 24.0°C
                        Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
                        Voltage: 14.097 V
    I have already changed the plugs/ coil packs..etc, but problem still occurs, PCV valve also taken off cleaned and checked.

Thanks for any help.

2. Emzy93

Emzy93 New Member

Try to change the coil and sparkplug over to an another cylinder, and see if the problem occurs on the "new" cylinder. If missfire on cylinder 3 still occurs you could have a fault in the wiring for the coil on cylinder 3. Other causes could be fueling. Unplug all the coils and take the sparkplug out of cylinder three, crank the engine and see if you can smell fuel from the combustion chamber from cylinder three.

3. Grey Goose

Grey Goose New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Fault started before I changed the plugs and coil packs, so no need to swap them,

The actual misfire is minimal, just a slight blip when accelerating, no real sluggish performance that would signify fueling issues, other than maybe a dodgy injector at most?

I did perform some other tests with vcds, and they seem to point to the cat, see below.

upload_2017-9-15_1-30-9.png

Code:
    Readiness Status: 0000 0001
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed
    Oxygen Sensor Heating: Passed
    Oxygen Sensor(s): Passed
    Air Conditioning: Passed
    Secondary Air Injection: Passed
    Evaporative Emissions: Passed
    Catalyst Heating: Passed
    Catalytic Converter(s): Failed or Incomplete
    If this is causing the fault it's quite concerning as the car has a full Milltek turbo back sport cat system fitted?

4. nluk100

nluk100 Well-Known Member

Have you had the car remapped to suit the new exhaust?

5. Emzy93

Emzy93 New Member

What nluk100 said. I have a full milltek turboback with de-cat. The car didn't like it, but after a revo remap it was all good.

6. Grey Goose

Grey Goose New Member

:coldsweat:
    I bought the car used around 6 months ago with the Milltek fitted, the car came with full service history, and receipts for the exhaust and various other things, but no receipt for any mapping.

I have since fitted a Ramair induction kit, new 19" rims, and a few other bits and bobs to tidy the car up.

It's got the stage where the CEL is coming on almost constantly, I tried disconnecting the battery to do a full reset and now the CEL is flashing every time i stop as traffic lights, and when I run a scan it throws up the same misfire fault codes.

I hope your both right and the previous owner never mapped the car to suit the exhaust, because I have the car booked in for an APR stage 2 map and new hpfp on Thursday :coldsweat:

7. Grey Goose

Grey Goose New Member

Update:
    Fault codes now cleared, it was the PCV valve!

Even though I had checked the original one, and it appeared to be ok ( taking it off, cleaning it, blowing through it, making sure only one way..etc), I thought I would replace it with the latest rev one: VAG-06F129101R and the new gasket: VAG-06F103483E.

Check engine light went off shortly after fitting, and running the car for a little while, waited 2 days then ran a scan, and " no fault codes detected", so all good.

Did have an issue with my HPFP internals not arriving before the car was remapped, and when mapped and put on the Dyno was found to be loosing fuel pressure around 5000RPM, so mapper only applied a stage one till new internals arrived, finally the fuel pump internals arrived Wednesday , fitted them Thursday morning, and car was remapped to Stage 2 + Thursday afternoon.

Pretty impressed with the rate of knots it now accelerates, finally appears to the car I was expecting it to be :relieved:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017