ebay box sets, think your getting a bargain think again (or look again)

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
​This week I purchased a box set off ebay, cost £37 inc postage and listed as new, the RRP should be around £60 for the set so figured I got a bargain. The seller also had over 130+ feedback and 0 negs. The set arrived next day delivery and when I opened it up they looked fine and not being genuine never even entered my mind, but it was not until I put the discs into the computer did I find out they were copies.

I noticed that my software DVD player stated the disk were region free, which was strange as they had region 2 printed on the box and the discs, and after digging a little deeper I found out they were ripped using DVDFAB as it removes the “Provider ID” and leaves FAB+the version number. You can check this with a hex editor by looking at the .ifo & .bub it's at the start of the file you will see this info. These files are in the VIDEO_TS folder.

have to say ebay have been great, they really do side with the buyer, will get a full refund and have even covered the return postage costs, by sending me a prepaid shipping label.

So if your getting boxes sets off ebay I would really check them over. After finding the region removal and the DVDFAB info I also noticed the following, something I really would not have notice until I looked close.

The Jewel cases in the box set where not identical
The disc images were grainy and some of the small text was blurred
The colours also varied from disk to disk even with the same background image
The disc were not very clean had marks on the underside
The printing around the edge of the disk was little rough
Printing on the discs was very slightly off center on some discs

Hope this is of help.

Last edited:
Well if you feel you have been ripped off, report them to ebay etc.

I believe they take a stern view of this these days.

One thing I'm sure of is if they have been copied using domestic DVDR's they will fail over time.

Ebay may refund you, but they do virtually sweet fa to stop them, I've reported obvious fake sellers of items & they continued to trade without so much as a blip on there account activity, disgusts me tbh when they have 100% proof of illegality/counterfeit products, that they don't act.