ebay 3" downpipe and decat fitting - Is it hard?

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
As above really is it hard to fit? never looked into the exhaust on these cars. you got much room to change it on the driveway? or is it a proper ramp n garage job? :think:

Also

how long does the TIP take to fit on an AGU if poss?

thanks alot peeps :thumbsup:

Changing the downpipe for a K03 turbo is a hell alot easier than K04. You can access all the downpipe bolts from the bottom off the car. . . So answering your question yes it could be done yourself :thumbsup:

ahh sweet so just unbolt the 3 bolts n slide it out then same in reverse with a new gasket?

Downpipe has 4 bolts connecting it to the turbo. . . . but yes new gasket and bolts job done.

DP on an A3 is a dead easy job Dave!

and whilst the DP is out, it makes accessing the TIP much easier from below too, so you win both ways!

To get the downpipe off, undo the centre bracket holding the exhaust on, then just undo the 4 nuts holding the DP to the turbo, and slide it out. Make sure you disconnect the plug for the lamda, then remove the lamda once it's out and on the bench.

refitting is the reverse of removal! new gasket as you say, which will come with the decat.

Took me 90 mins start to finish to fit a 3'' DP and decat, new centre section, and silicon TIP on my AUM

Reactions: JudderMan
ahh sweet ill get those bits then! cheers for that. my last purchase before christmas :D

you got a link for either of those that are half decent? soo many on ebay i dunno what to choose!

cheers :D

yea, minimal effort for a decent gain.

Only thing you've got to be cautious of is snapping studs on the turbo and seized nuts.

As a precautionary I'd always have a set of new studs and nuts from audi, just incase one snaps. neither of mine have ever been a problem, but I know Tim (animal) had some problems with getting them off

ill keep that in mind! need to get some oil anyway so will pop in

There's no worry about heat on the bolts when re-assembling or anything?