Easy to replace headlight bulb on 1999 A3?

buel

Reaction score
Hi,
Please can I ask how easy it is to replace the passenger side front headlight bulb on my gf's 1999 A3? The battery looks like it is in the way but I was hoping there might be a guide of some kind please?

I figure you are talking about pre-facelift halogen lights and not Xenon right?

It depends on what bulb exactly we are talking about. I've changed basically all of them without taking out the battery, just with some hardcore twisting of the arm and finger action (trust me your woman will thank you later for practicing :p lol). The H4 and the one below it the, regular small one, are pretty easy to do. The H7 one on the side is a bit tighter squeeze. But it's doable unless you have huge hands. I haven't changed the blinker though, did that when I had the lights out.

EDIT: Forgot to add the most important part. The H4 and H7 bulb connectors will be held by a clamp made out of metal wire. Just squeeze the two ends together and you can get it out, then it is just a matter of pulling the bulb with the connector out and replacing the bulb and putting it back in, putting the clamp back on and that's it. Should be easy once you get a glimpse of it. It really is harder to describe by writing than it is in reality lol.

Mine is the face lift version. And I do have large hands.
It was a nightmare, I was considering taking the bumper off and the lights out.

I've unfortunately never had the pleasure to put my hands on facelift lights, so I have no idea about them. I gather you can get a little extra room if it's possible to remove the battery cover (with sides). I don't have a plastic cover on mine, just one made out of a cloth or something that surrounds the battery. Don't know if all pre-FL have the cloth covers or not but it was easy to remove that and gave me like a extra centimeter of space to move around there. It's a hassle anyway, but it's a necessary "pleasure" that comes with the car or in this case having a gf with a car. :D

Thank you all, all done within 5 minutes (Took battery out)
Thank you all so much!!