Easiet/cheapest way to connect HTC mp3s to RNS D

starnon

Reaction score
Ok, I have a RNS-D which features triassic-age tchnology and has a 6 disc cd changer and no TV tuner.

I also have a HTC one x and want to be able to play music in the car from it.

What are the options? I've seen various stuff that claims to connect it all together but the costs are ridiculous.

Features I don't really care about having:
music display on the RNS
keeping the CD changer

So ideally just a simple cable that could connect it, or even a FM transmitter (though I would prefer something more neat and not have plastic devices rolling around the cabin), but I can't find anything definite. I did see a cable that connects it into the CD changer plug, but searching on the net, folk with RNS D's seem to have problems with it (or is this just usual forum moans?).

Cheers!

I have one of these in my car XCARLINK Car USB SD Interface Adaptor For Audi A2, A3, A4, TT SKU1005 | eBay

I got it around 5 years ago for my A3 and paid nowhere near what they seem to go for today though i did get it direct from China :) It piggy backs between the plugs for your autochanger if you have a seperate one or just straight into the back of the head unit and gives you a second Digital CD auto changer where you store 6 folders on an SD card named CD1 to CD6 and you just chuck your MP3's into those folders and then access them from the head unit... thats another matter though, as you see from the pics it also has USB conection and Aux in so in theory ( not tried it yet ) you can keep your phone charged via the USB and connect your headphone socket into the AUX in and play the music direct from your phone... it's something i keep meaning to try as the HTC One X sits nicely in the Ash tray when it's open so you could run all the cables down there and run it on that Car app.... I must sort out the cables and try it

curiosity got the better of me so i've just dug out some cables and given it a go.... works quite well.... volume is a little quieter than the standard setup but only a little and the cool thing is that if a call comes in it stops the music and the caller can be heard over the car speakers, i'm not sure how it would sound for the caller as it would only be using the phones microphone as though you were on speaker so i suspect it might be a little quiet for whoever rings you

hmmm interesting

I have the one X to and have always wondered about connecting it up although I have a alpine stereo in mine for now!!

Markyboy,
That setup sounds great but way outside my budget. I've just looked for something that would simply connect the htc (a standard aux socket) to the rnsD to play music but I can't work out what to get. I thought a simple conversion lead would be available for under a tenner but all the forums i read are both confusing and refer (vaguely) to a myriad of adapters. I don't know if they are trying to get a fancy complex system working (ie keeping cd changer, showing music info on the screen etc) but I#m not bothered by that, just want it simple as possible.. :/