Early oil change on a new Diesel

DMitch

Reaction score
My car (A3 130PD) has done 5K miles and I was thinking about getting an oil change to clear all the crap which is probably floating around inside it after having run it in. I am on a variable interval and my next visit is about 14K miles, I think that might be a bit long to be driving around with all those bits floating around my engine, what do you think?

DM

Mine's the same as yours (130PD) and it's having it's first service next week at 21k, same oil in when the car built.
I would only change the oil upon experience from others on this board and Tyresmoke.net.

I reckon stick with the recommended intervals, no other reason than to save money really ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
thinking about getting an oil change to clear all the crap which is probably floating around inside it after having run it in

[/ QUOTE ]

Just re-read the post again, I would just consider my tractor now 'only just run in' at 21k, never mind 5k !!

Call me old fashioned, but I like to do an interim change about 5k just to get rid of any bits of swarfe or accumulated sh!t in the engine!

I'd only do this if you intend to keep your car for a while (prevention is better than cure).

Engines today are much better engineered than 10 years ago but for the sake of £40 or so, I'd recommend it!

It is probably a worthwhile effort to make, but I would advise contacting the dealer first to ask for their consent, think warranty!
Best option would be to ask them to do it for you.
Best of luck with your new car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks all, think I will be keeping the car for a while so might edge on the side of caution and get it done. Will ask the dealer for their approval just incase they do get funny about the warranty further down the road.

fatcat, that is one big service interval, I thought I was taking it easy on my car as I am getting an interval of 14K, are you doing all motorway traveling, if not whats the secret in getting 21K? Do you turn it off at traffic lights, or down hills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (don't try that one at home folks, I know someone who did, engaged the steering lock and couldn't turn at the bottom of the hill, nasty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ) ?

When Audi resets the service interval when I take it in for its first service, does the car start afresh in monitoring your driving style, or will it take into account how you drove before the service in deciding when your 2nd service will be. Was thinking I might be able to adopt fatcats driving style and get a few more miles out of the 2nd interval /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In this car I've always done heavy mileage since day 1, the first few months was stop start for 4 hours and 160 odd miles a day, and since xmas more cruising (on the M25!!!)but slightly higher daily mileage. The car has always been drive 6 out of the 7 days.
I've always driven the tractor hard, but not to an inch of it's life, never red lining it - except on the track.
I think the DIS optimises the operation of the car given the driving style and adjusts accordingly.
I reckon the dealer will reset the DIS to a neutral setting, ready for the next user (be it you or someone else) and will again adjust accordingly.

DMitch - I see your location as 'Bucks' are you planning on coming over to the next Windsor meet on the 27th.
gtdog should be coming over as well.

I did have a look at the meet board and was pondering popping along to see what goes on, although mid weeks aren't usually good for me as I am doing stuff most nights, will have to check nearer the time. By the way, what does go on at a meet? Last one I stumbled across was some Nova boys in Milton Keynes, going mental between roundabout s, until the boys in blue turned up.