1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

earlier 1.8T and big turbo

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by macca, Mar 28, 2007.

1. macca

macca Member

is anyone running an earlier a4 with a big turbo

i spoke to a custom code agent and they are suggesting that i need to convert to DBW ecu and loom to get a decent map to work,

changing ecu and loom is fairly straight forward, but i'm not sure about converting pedal box over so that i can run the electric throttle.

anyone have any other ideas, i take custom code as knowing there stuff, so am tending to take their advice.
  2. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

well im planning on using mega Squirt when i go big turbo you can buy the ecu in kit form for around 70 quid on the v3 board.
  3. PhilR

PhilR One Ate Tea

speak to jabbasport,

My mate has a MK2 golf with a 1.8t (agu) which is non-dbw) he had to buy a newer ecu, something to do with the file sizes needed for the big turbo remap,
    Jabbasport modified this newer ecu to work with the non-dbw engine. He will be running in excess of 400hp in the next few weeks, thats on the standard management and cable throttle
  4. macca

macca Member

thanks PhilR, sound similar to what i'm doing, i have gone down after market ecu's before, infact i have one sitting at home in a heap, for an everyday car i think they are just too comprimising, they are more about power and on an a4 would prevent a few things from working.

i'll give jabbasport a bell sometime and get their opinion.
  5. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Loads of the US boys are running BT kits without changing there ECU or switching over to DBW.
  6. macca

macca Member

i think they said it would run but would idle and run a lot smoother with the later ecu, i'm aiming for a 450bhp ish figure if i can, way too much but i've done a lot of the prep work already and can always turn the boost down.

i need to get out and catch up with some of you guys as i've only had the car running a month, need some ideas and motivation.

met JCB tonight who had my old engine off me, so atleast i've met someone now.
  7. docurley

I would run Emerald ECU which will only cost £200-£250 a remap and you could set it up for two stages boost at a touch of a button and I assume you’re talking 450bhp at the wheels and you got to be Quattro if looking for that much power.
  8. macca

macca Member

looking at 450 at flywheel, to be honest setting my sights high, so would be happy with anything over 350 at flywheel.

car is front wheel drive, i will be fitting a quaiffe diff, but this engine etc may make itself in to a quattro in the future, so yes it will be a handful in the current car.

i think i am right in saying that if i install aftermarket ecu i could start loosing functionality of the instrument cluster, diagnostics, alarm/immobiliser etc etc? i had a lumentition fitted to a bmw before and had a few problems.
  9. macattax

macattax Member

How can you turn your car into a quattro surely that would be a whole overhaul?
    Unless you mean your going to buy another car that has quattro?
  10. docurley

Well if you can sort me a good 6 speed box I will sort you the whole Quattro set-up if that’s of interest to you:eyebrows:
  11. macca

macca Member

i was looking at maybe buying a b5.5 quattro at a later date and swapping the engines etc etc over.

was wondering how viable a quattro conversion was though on a front wheel drive, i'd imagine the bodyshell or certain major panels maybe different.

thing is, a lot of my mods so far were unplanned and unexpected situations have opend up possabilities. certainly wasn't planning the engine rebuild when i bought the car. but as the engine needed some severe work done then i though i might as well go about it the correct way.
  12. macattax

macattax Member

So there is such a thing as a quatrro kit?
    If so show me some links and how tos!
    IS it expensive?

Etc Etc
  13. docurley

I'm doing a RS4 upgrade so I will be swaping all my Quattro setup out hence I have a full system to sell or trade.
  14. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

hmmmm doc i would been very keen i really would

and do you mean everything

i wont need the tank or exhaust just all the running gear eg hubs diffs box and shafts
  15. docurley

I have all the RS4 set-up bar the box so yes I have every thing to do a Quattro conversion including rear subframe.
  16. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I looked into this,and as far as i can assertain the shells are different from 2wd to quattro.
  17. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

im sure i can make it work if ppl can fit engines in the back of cars it shouldnt be to hard to mount running gear
  18. jcb

jcb Active Member

cheers for the engine Macca, watch this space for a 2.1l IHI'd monster!

I got a 99 B5 for the specific purpose of it having a non DBW vs DBW.
    I based this on a Jabba write up some years ago, speak to Minhea at MRC, he said that you can get more out of a DBW but there was no limitation to the two ECU's.
    plenty of early 1.8t's running silly power