EA 189 NOx Emissions Service Action - TDI 170CR experiences specifically

GSB1

Reaction score
Website
www.shootpetrol.co.uk
Hi,

I see threads on the emissions scandal subject, but a search didn't reveal much in the way of experiences from those that have had the service action applied.

Our affected vehicle is a 2011 (8P) A3 TDI 170CR (quattro, 6 speed manual).

Has anyone with the TDI 170 CR engine got experience of having had the 23Q7 EA 189 NOx emissions service action applied please?

Our car is maintained by the dealer and under warranty, so I suspect easiest if we just have it done. However I am worried about how a software change might affect performance, how it drives and possibly frequency of DPF regens etc. Really I am happy with the car as is and see the change as more risk of detriment than any good that may be realised.

Theories aside, it is real world experiences from TDI 170 owners I am after please.

Regards
Graham

My 170 BHP car is 7-years old, 81,000 miles and not now serviced by Audi - I don't view it like some "as new" vehicle still under warranty. It runs great and gives great fuel economy being just FWD. Not at all sure I will bother to go and get this done - if it 'aint broke don't fix it. To reduce NOX they will be "tweaking" the engine management surrounding the EGR system. EGR systems can be a trouble spot on diesels and I am nervous that the "tweak" might aggravate the position - which won't necessarily be immediately apparent.

A chap over on A5OC had his 2.0TDI A5 on a dyno before and after the software fix (I link it on one of the other threads about emissions software).

As above, the peak output is the same, but the curve is different. User reported better performance and MPG, but no actual data to support this either way.

As Retroman says, there have been a few cases of EGR failure soon after the fix, and a case could be made that the update accelerated the wear of this common weak point, but again without any good quality data it's hard to say either way.

So the only actual objective data I have come across is the dyno read out.

Don't envy you for having to make the decision. Not sure what I would do in your position...!

after what i have read about it and peoples experiences i won't be getting mine done

It turned out to be no fuss to decline. The emissions fix had automatically been added to the worksheet, but I was advised of this and asked if it was OK. I said I would rather it not done and was told that's fine and decline was written against the line item on the worksheet. No disclaimer to sign or more said about it, so I left it at that.

Reactions: Retroman
tax band is still the same so id rather keep the extra power unless they decide to pay all effected owners £3k each then ide have it done and then put the original mapped file back on

There's a Facebook group with a lot of negative experiences. I'd steer clear for now. On the other hand if you have it done you might get some compensation eventually from VW after they knacker your car!

Just wondering if anyone has had this done yet and has anything to share? I just got my invitation letter and haven't read anything that is convincing me to book it in!

Hi,

I see threads on the emissions scandal subject, but a search didn't reveal much in the way of experiences from those that have had the service action applied.

Our affected vehicle is a 2011 (8P) A3 TDI 170CR (quattro, 6 speed manual).

Has anyone with the TDI 170 CR engine got experience of having had the 23Q7 EA 189 NOx emissions service action applied please?

Our car is maintained by the dealer and under warranty, so I suspect easiest if we just have it done. However I am worried about how a software change might affect performance, how it drives and possibly frequency of DPF regens etc. Really I am happy with the car as is and see the change as more risk of detriment than any good that may be realised.

Theories aside, it is real world experiences from TDI 170 owners I am after please.

Regards
Graham

I have identical car to you and so far had 4 letters off Audi asking me to take my car back in haha. I throw them in the bin. Not a chance is mine being touched plus I had it mapped nearly 2 years ago in any case.