E46 M3 or B6 S4

JoeD

Reaction score
Considering either as a next car. Comming from an 8l S3, What are running costs like when comparing the two? Top of my budget 9k.

I've read M3's eat rear tyres, servicing costs 1.2mill

Don't know much about the S4 in terms of runnings costs. Has anyone owned either? What are they like to live with as a daily?

Thanks!

I think running costs would be similar between the two, it's more a case if you want a drivers car, get the M3, if you you want a comfortable cruiser that's usable in most conditions, then get the S4.

I wouldn't mind either to be honest.

the E46 Coupe M3 is an animal of a car and Iv owned one when that model was 1st new out, I am serioulsy thinking of buying another one now for a summer car and taking the soft top version this time round and keeping my loyal Audi for my everyday runner, Dont buy any M3 unless its got Full dealer Service History and stay away from the Auto Boxes, Auto Boxes are bad news when they go wrong and they do, cost a small fortune to fix or replace as even 2nd hand boxes are still silly money,

Tough choice. I 'think' the V8 and quattro would swing it for me, but there's something special about an M car.

I'd probably seriously look for both and get the best of whichever came up first.

Definitely M3 for me, 6 cylinders and RWD. Do some research about the rear subframe cracking though if you haven't already.

i had an m3 convertible and it was an awesome car!! destroy most usual stuff on the road...
unfortunatly i came off a round about last year and spanked the back end up the kerb.. tore the rear subframe clean off the back of the car!!!! and it was christmas day... haha , got a second hand one from a breakers fitted it and got rid... so dont buy a softtop just incase its my old one lol (silver 03), great cars tho, you wouldnt be dissapointed...

juicy tho very juicy!!

Nice one lads!! Good to hear personal reviews. I wouldnt get a SMG, would have to be manual for me always!!! less to go wrong, and more involving blah blah blah haha. I was leaning more towards a soft top M3, and get a solid roof for winter time. I do quite like the cab S4's, but undecided if it looks as nice an a soft top M3. Will look into running costs further, unless 8P S3's fall in price in the next few months.

A good friend of mine has an E46 M3 hardtop.
One hell of a motor, when he was looking for one he was on about making sure it had the first run in service done & like said, one with a manual gearbox over the SMG.
Also he's getting rid soon so if you want pm me & I'll give you his details.

Pat

Put some money aside if thinking about the M3 mine was a right money pit and there knocking on a bit...
heavy on suspension parts at front, and go through tyres for fun, keep up with oil servicing and engine should be fine...
i thought the rear subframe issues were mainly the e36?
Check the rear quarters for wannabe drifters smashing them into lamp posts/walls.....:icon_thumright:
Having said that they are a lot of fun and you have to keep your wits about you in the rain.....

Can't comment on the s4 but I was considering an e46 m3 about a year ago, which was up at a traders lot for a little over 10k with 60,000 miles. It was really mint and drove so well. I reckon you could pick a really nice one for 9k nowadays. The guy who was trying to sell it too me had one also, and said you can achieve 35mpg on a run if you behave... Which is fairly good if true.

Nice one lads!! Good to hear personal reviews. I wouldnt get a SMG, would have to be manual for me always!!! less to go wrong, and more involving blah blah blah haha. I was leaning more towards a soft top M3, and get a solid roof for winter time. I do quite like the cab S4's, but undecided if it looks as nice an a soft top M3. Will look into running costs further, unless 8P S3's fall in price in the next few months.
i had the hardtop for mine, drove like a different car with it on!!! saying to my that the coupe will handle alot better... but then the cab just looks pimp!! thats what i was looking for lol, mine was silver-red nappa leather with black 19's.. i miss it now ive started thinking about it again :(