e-tron forum is a mistake

Vertigo1

Reaction score
In my personal opinion I have to say I think the new e-tron forum is a huge mistake.

Aside from the power train, the A3 e-tron is effectively just another A3 with all the same options, issues and questions as any other model. Diverting owners of the e-tron to a separate forum merely serves to segregate them from the main A3 community and discussions in that forum.

As I said the e-tron is merely just a different power train. We don't have separate forums for petrols and diesels, or for 3-doors, Sportbacks and saloons, so why the e-tron?

Think it's totally counter-productive I'm afraid.

Just my 2p.

Reactions: DieselJake
Nicely argued, but I'm afraid it's not quite so simple.

This isn't really a new sort of conundrum; we've faced similar numerous times previously when there have been other variants which may or may not be better off with their own section. The simple fact of the matter is that pending a revolution in the way [technically speaking] forums can be organised - there are awkward choices to be made when it comes to grouping discussion topics.

As you've sort-of identified, these choices all come down to how one differentiates between similar variants. It helps make your point, but I don't think the comparison between petrol/diesel is very valid.

It can be said that the A3 e-tron is at the end of the day, an A3; and as such will have a lot in common with petrol & diesel powered A3s. But it is an e-tron, and that in itself is a new & significant topic, with plenty of discussion points which are irrelevant to those driving internal combustion only variants.

As you suggest, we could split on petrol & diesel. I suppose it's no more or less arbitrary than keeping A3 and A4 separate. Equally though, we could split on red cars and blue cars - at the end of the day, they're different; I'd agree not significantly, but if you don't like red cars...

So, we have to split based on what we think are the most pertinent points. We feel that e-tron is a pretty big deal - it's a new technology which introduces all kinds of new discussions, and the A3 e-tron is the first production model in what will ultimately become a range of next generation types. I suppose to borrow your example, what I'm saying is that is that if this were the first production Audi with TDI (or quattro, or...) it'd probably have its own section too.

Playing devil's advocate for a second... If I removed the 'A3 Sportback' part from the section's title, I guess you'd agree it might be a good place for discussions about economy/efficiency, company car tax, availability of fast charge points, technical matters specific to electric vehicles and business in general related to these new fangled electricty-burners. That's really what we want to provide; it's labelled A3 e-tron because at the moment that's the only one, but in time there'll be A4 e-tron and a host of other e/g/h-tron variants; at which point the silhouette based distinction becomes most relevant again.

Again, we understand that there'll be overlap - it's not ideal, but is also nothing new. Does an RS3 owner with a question about some item of interior equipment (RNS/MMI for example) post in RS3, or in A3/S3? Unfortunately in those cases it's down to the individual to make the choice of which is the more relevant section. Happily though, should individual discussions (or indeed whole sections) begin to look like they'd be better placed elsewhere, we can always move things about.

Anyway, hope that helps everyone better understand the difficulties we face in organising sections, and reassures you that the issues related to it are things we do give serious thought.

All the best,

Rob.

I appreciate the reply and the points you've raised. The basic point I was making really is that there's more shared between the A3 e-tron and the regular models than differentiates them and the danger is that e-tron owners would be "herded" into the dedicated forum and spend less time, if any, looking at the main forum where many things that would potentially interest them may be discussed.

The point you raise about the RS3 is interesting because I'd argue the same here really. I don't see the need for a separate RS forum at all. The RS3 is merely another variant of the same model and, in reality, differs no more from an A3 or S3 than the S3 does from an A3. Sure it's nice for RS3 owners to be able to discuss issues specifically related to their car in their own forum but such specific topics are few and far between and it just serves to split the whole A3/S3/RS3 community up. I also find it odd that all RS3 models are in a single forum as the the 8P and 8V variants are completely different cars in every way - about the only thing they share is the badge.

Oh well, just my opinion :)

I get where you're coming from, and basically agree with most if not all of what you're saying; but it is a tricky issue to get just right - there's lots of crossover between different variants & silhouettes, and it means that what is most logical and what is most intuitive aren't always the same thing, and in some cases aren't far from polar opposites.

It's going to extremes a little, but there is a decent amount of logic in the suggestion that Mk. 1 TT might well be included with 8L; aside from the body panels they're not far different, and many of the parts which do differ from the factory are interchangeable (so much so that putting TT bits on A3s is far from rare discussion). Factoring in more subjective attributes, one could say that as TT (particularly Mk. 1) isn't the busiest of sections here, it would as you suggest above, make one more inclusive group, probably with mutual benefit. As I say, it's stretching the example, but putting them together would in no way be intuitive despite there being some logical argument in favour of it.

A/S3 & RS3 being separate is an existing prime example of the difference between logic & intuition (with a bit of democratic steering in that case, too). I'd agree, and would suggest most if not all RS3 owners would too, that it is indeed a variant of the others; but the distinction exists on the forum, and not because we haven't offered to integrate it with A/S3 or the halfway-house idea of making it a sub-forum inside A/S3 (here there are basic issues of visibility/navigability to derail any consistent arrangement scheme). While it's not ideal, it's functional (people do seem to post in whichever seems more suitable); and arguably as good as any other compromise.

All that said however, I firmly believe that the case for A3 e-tron to have a dedicated area is far stronger than in any other case. I agree there are lots of things it has in common with 'conventional' A3s; however the differences from its siblings are I think it's fair to say, as stark as any other in Audi's history. Yes, the cupholders are the same part; lots of the other stuff too. But (and as the saying goes, it's a big but), this is the FIRST Audi that one can fuel-up from a 13 amp socket; and lots of other stuff that goes with that. It's distinct, indeed special enough to warrant a dedicated section in our view; we'll of course keep the situation under review as the model rolls-out and the range expands. I think we have to credit people to be switched-on enough to do as they do in the other example too, and post really variant specific topics in that section, and if they're struggling for answers about a stuck cupholder in there, try in the broader platform section.

Cheers,

Rob.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Nicely argued, but I'm afraid it's not quite so simple.
As you suggest, we could split on petrol & diesel. I suppose it's no more or less arbitrary than keeping A3 and A4 separate. Equally though, we could split on red cars and blue cars - at the end of the day, they're different; I'd agree not significantly, but if you don't like red cars...

All the best,

Rob.

Oi..... Administrator.......!

:haudrauf:

:friendly wink: