1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVLA cock-up

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Tolak, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Tolak

Tolak Member

[Nov 1, 2013]
    Sold a car about two months ago, and correctly dealt with the paperwork.
    However, about three weeks ago, I got a letter from DVLA about me having failed to report the sale of a different number (personalised plate). And they wanted money immediately, before they took me to court.
    The car I sold had worn personalised plates (from the servicing receipts) but I had not taken note of the reg number(s).
    So I explained that I had not registered a car with that reg, and included a copy of the confirmation of transfer for the car I had sold.
    And today I got a letter from DVLA indicating there had been a cock-up, because of two changes happening at the same time. (No indication of whether it happened on teh same car; the name of my buyer did not match the personalised plate)

So, alls well that ends well, but not pleasant to get official threatening letters, particularly because of a computer cock-up.

Reason for this post; it's worth taking note if your car has had personalised plates.
    And, as usual, keep good records of all such transactions, so you can rebuff officialdom with their own paperwork.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. wolfie138

wolfie138 Active Member

[Nov 8, 2013]
    been there, done that. back in 2011 isold my Lacetti to get my A4. few months later (as i posted here) i got a mail from cops down South saying i'd been caught speeding - it was the Lacetti. Mailed DVLA etc and got nothing but a curt "well change it" mail. mailed them back saying, that's all very well but you sent me confirmation of the V5 sale etc and now you're saying i still own the car and this could affect my insurance etc. Got nothing but a curt "we have changed your details" mail. shocking customer service, not even a try at an apology.