DVLA car tax refunds

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not traded in a car since the whole set up changed in the UK.
Obviously the garage sort out the tax on the new car kinda like they've always done.
But, if there's a balance of full months left on the car being traded in, does the refund come to me automatically from DVLA?
How long does it usually take to be refunded?

Reactions: Gordo77
I got a refund when I changed cars in September. Cheque in the post automatically, didn't think about it until it arrived. Came in a few weeks. Thanks for the reminder, I still need to bank it!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Gordo77
No refund even if you have 11 months left

You will get a refund from DVLA, you should have been given the small strip of paper from the Registration document of the car you sold/px'd, fill out the details and send to DVLA asap, cheque takes couple of weeks at the most, although if you had less than one month to go you probably won't get a refund.
Some good info on DVLA website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Daveotto, richinsoton and 1 other person
I got a refund for about £11 from the TT, which was only about £20 a year anyway. It took about a week to come through.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Daveotto
They refund full months not part months so if you sell on 1st of the month you miss the refund of that month albeit get the rest of the year.

TX.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Thanks guys.
Wife's car collection tomorrow so her refund will include December as first full month.
If my car eventually gets on a ship and is collected during November, I'll be the same.

Reactions: Sandra
i got £220 back on my C6, pays the tax on the C7 for 7 years lol

Reactions: Sandra
The cheque is a nice surprise when you aren't expecting it.

You can change the owner of the car online, via the DVLA website. Making things much quicker!