DVD/TV/MP3 Stereo System

ickleric

Reaction score
I am looking at replacing my single din unit with a double din sat nav unit. I have looked at retro fitting the RNS-E system, but is quite expensive at around £400. So i was looking at some cheaper alternatives. Looking on ebay i found these. Now they DON'T have sat nav, but they do say you can connect an external sat nav. Seems like you connect the GPS receiver through the video input, and put the software on a SD card. Anyone had any experiences of these, or know exactly how they work cos i can't work it out. I am awaiting some responses from the sellers as well.

£179
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORIZED-TOU...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

£139
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-TOUCH-SCREE...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

£165
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160235296856

I know its not anserwing your question but Id be going for a higher end unit, I know a couple of lads round my area who have fitted ones like these and the sound quality is rubbish compared to your Pioneer/alpine units. Its expense but you get what you pay for eh!

if that was the case, could i just stick in an amp??

If the source is poor then it will only amplify the poor sound.

Do you need all those 'features'? Id buy an RNS-E, not as featued packed as those above but it looks so much nicer in the dash and integrates with DIS and MFSW etc.

Yeah yo can add an Amp but like he says, it will only amplify the poor quality. Dont get me wrong, it wont be mega **** but compared to the RNS-E or a pioneer/Alpine then you'll have a major difference in Sound quality.

AndyMac is the one for this one, He knows his stuff with the Audio etc..

All Ive done is Bypass my Bose amp, wire Componants directly to my Pioneer headunit and added an Amplifer for my Subwoofer. Works a treat and sounds Quality.

I wouldnt mind a RNS-E but too expensive for now..

The RNS-E is one of the best mods I have done, I would highly recommend getting one.:arco:

I have looked at OEM sat navs pulled from Audi's in fleabay, and they dont seem too dear. Check them out at around £100!

yeah i'd buy one for £100 if i could find one. been looking on ebay for a while not seen anything cheaper than £300.

Doubt very much they were £100, thats toooo cheap...

Not sure how you can say £400 is expensive for an RNS-E double din headunit with full european navigation, cd player and 2 SD card slots for MP3 playback that will perfectly fit you dashboard and dash lighting and as said above will integrate with steering wheel controls and DIS units, plus if it goes wrong you can get it repaired / new laser assemblies etc.

I've now refused to fit customers own RIPSPEED / LG / CHEAP screens from Ebay, as they always seem to go wrong and they expect me to look at it and tell them why its gone wrong for free, and remove it for free so they can 'try' and send it back! And trust me, you'll never get it repaired WHEN it goes wrong !

So save up / get a 0% credit card or similar and either put in an RNS-E or one of the new Kenwood / Pioneer units that have just come out for 2008. My current new favourite is the new Kenwood DNX-5220BT which uses the tried and tested Garmin screen layout and mapping for Europe plus the excellent Parrot integrated bluetooth kit, plus all the DVD/CD/MP3/DIVX/Radio/USB/Ipod controls/amp outputs etc etc etc

So sorry to sound so negative about the 'ebay' items, but I get fed up of people trying to do stuff on the cheap !!!

Regards,

Andy (Car Audio fitter for 15 years)

does the rns-e have a touch screen?
does the rns-e have any video in connections?
does the rns-e have bluetooth?
when using the rns-e sat nav, can you still listen to music whilst you have the sat nav on??

Not sure how you can say £400 is expensive for an RNS-E double din headunit with full european navigation, cd player and 2 SD card slots for MP3 playback that will perfectly fit you dashboard and dash lighting and as said above will integrate with steering wheel controls and DIS units, plus if it goes wrong you can get it repaired / new laser assemblies etc.

I've now refused to fit customers own RIPSPEED / LG / CHEAP screens from Ebay, as they always seem to go wrong and they expect me to look at it and tell them why its gone wrong for free, and remove it for free so they can 'try' and send it back! And trust me, you'll never get it repaired WHEN it goes wrong !

So save up / get a 0% credit card or similar and either put in an RNS-E or one of the new Kenwood / Pioneer units that have just come out for 2008. My current new favourite is the new Kenwood DNX-5220BT which uses the tried and tested Garmin screen layout and mapping for Europe plus the excellent Parrot integrated bluetooth kit, plus all the DVD/CD/MP3/DIVX/Radio/USB/Ipod controls/amp outputs etc etc etc

So sorry to sound so negative about the 'ebay' items, but I get fed up of people trying to do stuff on the cheap !!!

Regards,

Andy (Car Audio fitter for 15 years)

havnt you done most of the mods on your car on the cheap ? auto-dimming mirrors and rs4 bits ? from ebay

£400 is pretty cheap compared to what Audi charge for this option though isnt it?