Dump valve problem?

s80nsy

Reaction score
Hi all,I've recently purchased a 2002 audi s3 stage 1 revo and so far so good. However it was still on the standard dump valve which I have just replaced with a forge 008. Now I believe the original dump valve was stuck so me and a mate spun it round and it developed a bit of what I think to be compressor surge.

We also fitted a piperx at the same time that one of my mates had lying around. Have since ordered a bager5 tip and new induction kit but it's not arrived yet. Anyway it sounds nice like my old 200sx did but from the research I've done that's not quite right for these. So we spun it back and it was still doing it. So my thinking was change it for the forge jobbie. I've fitted the yellow spring this morning and also bypassed the n249 valve but it's still doing it.

It's doing it when I rev the car not under load, and when under load although not as noticeable as as you climb higher up the rev range.So my question, it's this normal or is there something more I should be looking into. Sorry if this has been posted before but my searches have been inconclusive and I don't want to be forking out of expensive bits. Cheers Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited to make it a little more readable as I started a reply then realised you mention it does this while you rev on no load...

If its making a choo, choo, choo type noise by revving from idle off load then thats not surge... that sounds like you have no vacuum to the top of the DV... change the spring back to the green one... yellow is too stiff IMO and only makes the DV respond more slowly...

Can you elaborate a bit on the noise? a video would help, as would pics of the installation...

<tuffty/>

Sorry mate, I'm on my iPhone. I had spaced it so no idea what it came out as one paragraph. It is a choo choo. I'll go and take a vid of it now. I've followed the bam bypass guide I found on here and replaced the pipe on top of the dv with a 4mm silicone pipe and plumbed it straight into the inlet manifold as per the guide. The sensor is still connected. I'll go and change the spring over, although l researched that this morning and people recommended yellow. Never mind two min job. I'll post a vid once I work out how to do it. Thanks for your input.

Well it appears I have sorted it. The 2 pipes that go into the the top of the metal tube (sorry don't know the name) were squashed in the bracket. I now just have a dump noise. Presume that's a more heathy sound?Cheers Stu

Reactions: Alex C
Spring rate discussion is a legacy of when the Forge valves were a little leaky tbh... the OE valve holds 30psi of pressure no probs without leaking

The noise you suggest sounds like the valve isn't opening...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I get you. So basically I have spend 124quid for no reason? Typical!So I now get a whoosh noise under load with a tiny amount of choo. Love the description of whoosh and choo! Haha!Does that sound right?