Duff cat(s) or duff lamda probe(s) ?

bikefright

Reaction score
I've posted many times about my coilpack troubles - now it seems I keep getting the engine management light on with "warm up catalyst below threshold", "Misfire detected cylinder 1(or 3)" and "random/multiple missfire detected".

I'm hoping someone far more techie than I could confirm that bad cat(s) or bad pre/post lamda probes could cause this......

When under hard acceleration, the engine management light sometimes flashes and eventually, if I don't back off the throttle, it will stay on. When I hook up the VAG-COM, I get the same three codes (posted in May to the vag-com forum).

Car has just had an MOT and passed the emmisions tests.....

I have around 85K on the clock.

Any ideas?

hey dude

i have a mate who works for gsf or one of these whole sale car parts companys and give me staff discount when i need it, if you get stuck with cost give me a shout? but regarding you warning on your dash, have you changed your coils yet????

Cheers man,

Cheaper parts would be great once I've figured out what's broken :D
I gather that the over the counter price for a cat is around 700 squids!! Aaaargh!

I had 4 coilpacks go earlier this year - I replaced all 6 as a precaution.

i got a replacement startermotor for my a2 for £45 new, not a recon, i think the cats are half what audi charge?

I had a solid engine managment light come up on my 3.0 Quattro Sport a few months ago, didnt have any performance dips though. Audi diagnosed failure of the 2 main cats & recomended replacing them, luckily I had a Network Q warranty & after a day of them saying to themselves "why are Audi so expensive for parts?!" they agreed to pay the bill, £715+VAT for parts & labour, ouch!!! If you've got performance issues then does seem like something else is up, try changing the coil pack from cylinders 1 & 3 with another cylinder & if the misfire warning moves with it then you've got another coilpack failure, get it replaced as faulty by Audi in which case.

Cheers Nickynibbles,

I don't have a performance issue - car runs like a dream. I might try the coil pack swap - I know what a failed coilpack feels like :-(

Car doesn't smell of eggs either this is why I think it might be O2 sensor(s)
ATB,
R.