1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual vs. single mass clutch kit?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Keeno, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Keeno

Keeno Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

I can get a brand new LUK standard dual mass flywheel and clutch for £240.

BUT

Is the stage 1 ECS kit (lightweight single mass flywheel, 228mm clutch) worth the extra £90 over the LUK kit?

Bit unsure on the ECS kit as I've been cautioned against mating a flywheel and clutch from different manufacturers...
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

any idea of the brand of a typical conventional flywheel? it is just a lump of metal afterall
  3. Keeno

That's what I thought! What's to sya that if I only replaced the clutch not the fly, I could end up with two different brands...
  4. mat_c

mat_c New Member

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious!

SMF are a lump of metal. DMF are two masses attached by springs to absorb torsional oscillation. If you replace a DMF with an SMF you will putting more strain on clutch plate and transmission.

DMF are mainly there to improve 'driver comfort', but I've heard many stories of DMF to SMF conversions buggering plates & box.

This may not apply to a petrol Audi A3 - I'm not an expert.
  5. Keeno

I couldn't say to be honest. I've read good things about the ECS kit in both the 10lb and 20.5lb guises. Both come with a new, bigger pressure and clutch plates.

Having said that, I can't really afford a new 'box...
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

I went for the ECS Stage 1 (G60 SM flywheel) and uprated clutch. I put320bhp and 300lbft through mine and am yet to have any problems. My brothers is the same - No issues.

Dual mass are expensive and if you can drive properly, you wont notice the driver comfort aspect either to be honest.

if you want OEM, then just go for OEM. If you want something a little more, for a little more, then go for the ECS kit (or something similar).

Rich
  7. kachnak

kachnak Member

Hello,
    I kill my clutch because I was stupid and start on 7000rpm in 1/4 mile race.
    Now my car is not so fast as was when I bought it.
    Sometimes I see that this clutch is slipping on 5th gear.
    So I would like replace it and looking for best solution.
    I need car every day and 90% I use it in city, but I would like go to lot of 1/4 races. I would like also remap to 260bhp next year.
    Therefore I am looking for better clutch as standard.

Anybody know what from this two is better kit for me please?
    30-4229HF (£890.00)
    Sachs Performance Clutch Kit & Jabba Flywheel (1.8T 6-Speed 02M) (£990.00)

Thank you
  8. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D Cylinder Head Master

You get more vibration and chatter if you have a single mass fly
  9. kachnak

kachnak Member

but lot off clutch manufactors make single mass flywheel so I think there must be also some plus for it.
  10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Single mass is obviously lighter and less complicated than dual mass.... its a more direct way to connect the clutch to the gearbox.... problems with single mass tend to revolve around chattering from the gearbox as more vibration is transmitted through the system and you need to be careful with clutch/flywheel combos from different manufacturers as they sometimes lead to long pedals and clutches that don't engage or disengage properly... other issues revolve around drivability as mentioned... can make the clutch feel very stop/start in traffic and uprated clutches tend to be heavier at the pedal...

The clutch setup I currently have was suggested by a guy from SeatCupra.net who has an Audi TT with over 450bhp and regularly does 1/4 mile stuff with it...

Consists of an LuK DM flywheel, LuK clutch cover and Sachs motorsport 4 puck paddle plate... light as a feather on operation with a very very small amount of occasional judder at the last bit of take up when driving normally else when giving it some its like an anvil coming down and just bites...

I have yet to do a full launch from it but the guy on SCN went from this setup to a SM flywheel setup and hated it... he is now running the same as me again...

<tuffty/>
    Alex C likes this.
  11. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

I run a single mass,and its not soft and very light and grips well off the line,but i can confirm as said above you do get gearbox chatter at idle with load on engine ie ac,but thats it and at higher speeds on heavy throttle you do get light cabin vibration.

I bought the car with this in,if it pops i probably will look to go back to DM depending on the cost,but its not noticeable.
  12. kachnak

kachnak Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  13. <tuffty/>

Sure thats the right one? page suggests its for an A3... some A3 clutches are smaller... S3 clutch is 240mm...

The clutch plate I have is this one...
    Rigid clutch disc with sintered metal plates - TTNET - Sachs Performance Parts

As for the flywheel, its the std part for the S3, I don't have a part number to hand I am afraid... I just went into GSF and said I wanted a DM flywheel for my S3 and they gave me one... the clutch cover I have is part of a std LuK clutch too...

If you buy a clutch, make sure its designed for the std/OEM DM flywheel as some manufacturers supply different clutches for OEM DM flywheels and their own single mass ones...

One other thing to remember is that DM flywheels typically come with rigid clutch plates while single mass typically use sprung clutch plates..

<tuffty/>
  14. Andrew@A.L.D

I got my solid flywheel from TTV Racing and they ask weather you want a it to fit a LUK or a Sachs clutch
  15. kachnak

kachnak Member

I sent question to sachs if it can be fitted to my S3. And there is written that this clutch kit is suitable for stock flywheel and bearing.
    Last comment in your 4 puck paddle plate is that disc is not recommended for street cars. Do you use your car only for race? Or is possible use this plate on streets as standard plate?
    I read somewhere that with 4 puck paddle plate is not possible continuously start.
  16. <tuffty/>

I have no probs with it at all.... of course its not been in long so no idea how long it will last, time will tell of course but I have no probs using mine in everyday traffic including commuter traffic...

Its not advise to hold the car on the clutch from what I have heard as it will wear more etc but as long as you don't ride the clutch it should be fine...

My car is a daily runner that I use to drive to work and back with a combination of country roads, steepish hills and cross city commuter stop/start driving... the clutch is light in operation but does grab very well (I have stalled the car a couple of times pulling away a bit quick from junctions... not recommended lol...)

<tuffty/>
  17. daveeeeee

daveeeeee New Member

Dude i would love to know where you can get hold of a Dual mass fly and clutch for £240 where ever i look its £300 + for the fly alone

cheers
  18. <tuffty/>

I went to GSF....

<tuffty/>
  19. kachnak

kachnak Member

It think daveeeeee reply to first massage in this thread.

Today I recieve answer from sachs that SRE organic kit, what I pastle here, is suitable for APY S3, so after pay-day in my factory I will order one :)
  20. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

I went from DM to SM on my A3 at clutch change time.... I didn't notice any difference in the drive-ability at all, and performance was definitely better.

I will be going SM on my S3 when the clutch needs changing.
  21. Andrew@A.L.D

If you do welly get the flywheel from TTV you may have seen mine but order it soon as you can as they can take time to make it.
  22. kachnak

kachnak Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  23. Chris_38

Chris_38 Member

Morning boys jus been looking into this DMF to SMF I've done it an its like the biting point is on the floor an I can't bleed it up, does anyone no if I have to change the slave cylinder cuz the pushrods not long enough ?
  24. Loor

Loor Member

25. cooper86

cooper86 Member