1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Temperature Sensor help

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by bigslippy, Jul 21, 2012.

1. bigslippy

bigslippy New Member

[Jul 21, 2012]
    Hi guys , I have a 2003 A4 1.9 tdi quattro, temp gauge hasn't worked for a couple of years and I had heard that if the temp
    sensor isn't working , the ECU still thinks the engine is running cold and uses more fuel?

Is this the case as round town driving I get mid to high 30's , when I go on a journey I get mid 40's.... I wouldve thought 50+ would be easily achievable.

However , I've now discovered the part I need is called a dual temp sender .... does mean that 1 part tells the temp gauge what the temp is and the other part tells the ECU?

Hope this makes sense to somebody[​IMG]

Any thoughts/wisdom welcomed[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jul 21, 2012]
    To be honest after a few people on here with 1.9 Q say they only get mid 30's and there's a few fwd only doing mid to high 30's.. My fwd comes in as average around 42-45 mpg but if I do 550 miles then 400-410 will be dual Carriageway to work @ around 65-70 mph...on a very long journey it will creap to a near 50 driven carefully.. The temp sensor will work in a few ways but they all do.. Should just be a simple change over
  4. Greeny233

Greeny233 Active Member

[Jul 21, 2012]
    Just get your temp gauge fixed, usually only the thermostat or coolant temp sensor.
  5. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Jul 21, 2012]
    Temp sensor failure is one of the most common failures on VAG cars.
    Yes the CTS has 2 outputs 1 to the gauge & 1 to the ECU. If the ECU is getting incorrect reading from the CTS it won't fuel correctly. Make sure you get a genuine VAG replacement (£25ish) Aftermarket CTS's are notorious for failing.