Dual mass or single mass?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
I think a new flywheel is imminent but do i go single mass with an s4 clutch or just get a dual mass as standard? I can get a dual mass for 280+vat at the factors,not priced a single mass from anywhere yet. Just replacing for a standard dual mass will be cheaper so is the single mass worh it?

are you planning any power upgrades
if yes go smfw

If i had the cash it would be S4 with LWFW. But i am pursueing more power.

If staying std, leave it as is on a DMFW

I would never pay that sort of money for a new DMF.

If its working then leave it alone, if its dead replace it with a single mass unit and S4 clutch.

It works but has done 196k and judders and you get chatter either from it or it makes the gearbox chatter. Only from 800 to 1200 rpm. What would you pay for a dual mass?

Theres a lot of bad reviews on the ECS setup from researching today. More so than good reviews.

Im taking a different route now as the S2 clutch i was after is no longer made and the other options are too much. I`ll report back tomorrow when i have the new clutch to hand. Pretty much same setup as the ECS Kit but cheaper. Well maybe for me but i`ll add up costs if it all works and compare to the ECS kit with shipping.

Sounds good. I think I would much prefer to go single mass with an s4 clutch. At least I know then it will handle lots more torque then.

I have received my nice new genuine RS4 clutch this morning from Audi. Matched it up against the flywheel i have and its all looking good so i`ll be giving it to my friend soon to redrill the flywheel.

Adding it up the total inc vat for the clutch plate/disc/release bearing, clutch and flywheel bolts and the flywheel with the surcharges as obviously you dont have the parts to return comes to £488.23 retail. Then you just need to add on the cost of redrilling the flywheel which obviously will vary depending on company you use but as a rough guide a place that uses us for parts qouted me £75 at about an hour and halfs worth of work. So thats roughly £563.

If the ECS kit for the RS4 kit is around £660 delivered and then you might get hit by customs charges ontop of that.

The bad reviews for the ECS kit mainly come down to the flywheel from what i`ve read. More cases of it warping than not.

The same Audi 80 one. Apart from being completely flat and 228mm it looks no different to the ECS flywheel they have custom made for that kit. Matching it up roughly earlier it`ll fit fine just like the S2 setup was going to once redrilled.

the RS4 clutch is designed for a "pot" flywheel though, where the friction plate is recessed down into the flywheel relative to the pressure plate mounting points...

The friction disk will be similar, but the pressure plate will be a very different shape...

So...its not going to fit in the box then without that flywheel?

What is it thats different on the fwd flywheels like golfs etc that we cant use them?

Jason: the pressure plate simply wont bolt up to the flat flywheel. If you look at the ECS one, it has a raised rim, that stands the pressure plate up off the friction surface. The flat flywheel doesnt have that. On a flat flywheel the pressure plate is much deeper.

Ian: different offset and starter teeth most likely.

Will be doing myself a credit tomorrow then and have to pay extra for the S2 clutch as originally planned.

the benefits of working at audi eh?

The sachs part numbers are kicking around somewhere for the pressure plate and cover.

VW not Audi ;) lol

Sachs dont make the standard one anymore apparently only the uprated jobby so im getting the LUK one instead