DTUK Tuning Box + Pedal Box Installed and running

Alex1990

Reaction score
TLDR: Installed both boxes, remarkable transformation , quicker off the mark and power throughout the rev range and very easy install overall. Short term only so will update in future for long term effects of both boxes.

Car spec: A6 C7 Saloon 2.0TDI 177Ps Fwd

Bigger review and install process:

So I have installed the tuning box and pedal box combo today and going through the fun yet anxious process of setting up the tuning box.

I installed the tuning box first then the pedal box so that i could troubleshoot if anything went wrong on either side.

So, once i installed tuning box they recommend you phone DTUK up for advice, in which case I did, the adviser on their end said to go through programs 1-2-3 and then add power to each one from +1+2+3 and for economy it would be vice versa -1-2-3.

Each program could be considered a different style of driving or even a different delivery method so to say. IMO Map 1 is more probably the most aggressive from low to high rpms with Map 3 being more aggressive on a higher rev band and map 2 a more lower RPM power and linear progression. I added power to each one progressively and Map 1 and Map 3 only got to "+2" as the "+3" would go into limp mode when on redline where as map 2 went to "+3" with no problems at all. I went with Map 2 +3 brilliant power delivery and smooth revs and nothing too ridiculous. I want to keep the car running for a couple of years haha :tonguewink:

after I did a thorough test of Map 2 +3 for a good 30 minute drive everything seemed to be good so I went on to setting up the Pedal box sent to me.
I have a hanging accelerator pedal so the install was slightly trickier. i didn't exactly remove the plastic cowl/undercover for the steering wheel i just undid the 2x 8mm Torx screws on either side to loosen up the plastic so I could reach my hand through. The plugs were very difficult to plug in, in the sense they needed a lot of persuasion to fit and "click" into place. But once it was completed I went onto playing with the setting and the Manual provided tells you that there is 3 programs to choose from. City Mode(green LED), Sport Mode (Amber LED) and finally Sport Plus (Red LED) or OFF. Again you can choose between how much throttle response you get via a "+" and a "-" which offers three settings with a combination of three green LEDs being lighten up as the more Green lights are on the more sensitive and aggressive the throttle response is. I found that Sport mode with 2 of the green LEDs on is the best for me and sport plus is far too aggressive. They give you alcohol wipes and sticky back velcro for the control switch to be mounted on the car which is a nice touch too.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. I did all setting on Dynamic so that i know even on the highest setting on my car, the car wont go limp on me haha!

SO LET THE FUN BEGIN:smilingimp:

I will update around 6 months down the road to show a longer usage and finally a year in time update

Thanks for reading and let me know your experiences too whether Remap or tuning box
:grin:

Reactions: D3mon
Nice write up fella, I was thinking about this set up for my avant. I like the fact you can just remove it at the drop of a hat :)

Will be interesting to hear your long term thoughts on it.

Nice review. I am literally this close to ordering a CRDe multi map with fuelsaver system from DTUK but just have this little doubt in my mind. I have a 2012 a6 tdi (177) with a 3 year warranty which means I don't want a remap as Audi will probably invalidate the warranty so would like a tuning box. Can Audi check fuelling, boost etc and tell if a tuning box has been previously fitted. My old v6 tdi Passat was quick as I had a lot of work done on it but my newer Audi will be more expensive if anything goes wrong. I miss the performance though. Trying to do a lot of research at the moment.

I really couldnt say if Audi would notice or not whether a tuning box had been installed, because by going through the trials and eroor of the tuning box, technically you'd have to go into limp mode a few times in order to find the right setting for the car.

Now this ismy opinion, but Audi could record all the limp modes the car had, so they would more probably find that for this specific day he had 4 limp modes and they themselves could add up to the reason.

In anycase, me being under warranty too, also pushed me this direction as a remap would be either wiped by service or noticed and invalidate my warranty.

But so far for the past 4 months its been okay, only thing to niggle about si the pedal box is so aggressive, when you put the foot down on around the 2.5k rpm the car jitters for a whole 2 seconds. after turning the pedal box sensitivity it goes. but that sort of defeats the object of having it in the first place? I didnt notice this at first due to the excitement of haviung the box and runnign it rhough it's paces, only fater a couple of months i realised something was weird!

well thats my 1 cent rant.

Buy the box, Pedal is not necessary in all honesty, after owning it now I could consider it a waste of money as the setting is too low for any use, and on higher "sport mode" for instance I get this stupid 2-second hesitation/jitter at 2.5k rpm... worse off is the fact it was so darn difficult to remove, i've just left it on now haha

~Alex

The remap & warranty thing really only becomes a problem should you have an issue. A properly developed remap will not cause you any issues. Some tuning boxes can leave behind codes

Equally putting the map back onto the car should it be wiped is about a 20 minute job. I appreciate not everyone lives near their tuner but most tuners sell devices like the AlienTech Powergate which allows you to put the car back to standard and or reinstall the remap :)

Only just picked up my own A6 and I mapped it within 48 hours :yahoo:. The difference is (as always) is night and day. The car is so much more responsive in any gear and any revs without a hint of hesitation. Hasn't done my fuel consumption much good but it will settle down once I have stopped 'playing' :racer:

Reactions: Alex1990