DTUK PEDAL BOX Review / Fitting Guide – Audi S3– USERS VIEW

jungle650

Reaction score

DTUK PEDAL BOX Review / Fitting Guide – Audi S3– A USERS VIEW

As some of you will know after the review that I wrote comparing the MTM tuning box with the DTUK FSR+ tuning box on the S3 here. Andrew @ DTUK contacted me and kindly offered the opportunity to test one of their other products…. The Pedal Box.

I agreed as long as I could keep it for a few weeks and really test it and most of all if I could write what I thought the box was actually like. Andrew kindly agreed. The following is based on using the Pedal box for close to 3 weeks on an Audi S3, both as the car in stock form as well as with a tuning box (MTM box) which I think has given me enough time to put together a fair assessment of the product and the following is my honest and humble opinion.

So what is a pedal box?

It’s a small device that fits between the current throttle control unit / pedal sensor and the physical pedal allowing greater adjustability and quicker access to the cars natural power. It basically eliminates some of the throttle lag from the stock car by reducing the amount of pressure / travel that the pedal would normally require to generate the appropriate signal to the car. It does not add additional BHP/ torque or power, nor does it require any additional power source to physically work. It simply plugs into the pedal wiring and allows you to access the current power band / torque curve far quicker eliminating throttle lag. …Simples.

What’s in the box?

• Pedal Box ( Current model 3S - 3712 )
  • Manual
  • Mounting Instructions
  • Dashboard Wipe
  • Velcro Fastener

How do you fit one?

The fitting guide which comes with the box shows detailed fitting instructions in both English as well as German. In summary the device is extremely easy to fit and takes minutes to install. I have added a video link at the bottom for easy reference.

Before you begin I would highly recommend an external light source as it will ensure you can easily see where the connectors are.

Fitting Guide:

1) Disconnect the throttle pedal sensor - Find the original sensor situated at the top of the throttle pedal. Pull the RED locking tab UP and push IN towards the wiring. This will allow you to lift up and remove the connector.

3b

2) Install the pedal box connector- First plug the Pedal box socket onto the cars original connector at the top of the throttle pedal. This is the Pedal box connector with the grey button on it. Carefully push down, slowly adding pressure. When its correctly aligned you hear a “click “.

3) Join the pedal box second connector - Join the second connector from the Pedal box with the cars original throttle socket which you removed from the top of the physical pedal. Ensure these are lined up correctly and push together ensuring you hear the “click “ which defines a correct and complete installation.

6b

4) Hide any additional wiring - There is plenty of additional wiring with the pedal box allowing you to install the device in different locations, for easy access to the buttons to change programs. i.e. allowing you to place the box on the dash or side of the chair etc. Once you have a location in mind, you can hide the additional left over wiring from the pedal box behind the plastic covering in the foot well. There is plenty of space.

5B

5) Mount – Use the Dashboard wipe to clean the area where you will mount. Then use the sticky velcro pads to mount the pedal box controller. There are lots of choices of where to mount the device. I put mine down below where the light switch is. This ensures that you can easily reach the unit to switch between programs or to switch the device off, if parking overnight for example. If you do not switch off the device it remains on (even with the keys out of the ignition.)

6) Enjoy - Switch it on and go for a drive !

REMOVAL - Reverse the process to remove. TAKE EXTRA CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PEDAL BOX CONNECTOR WITH THE GREY CLIP. To remove the device, just push down on the grey connector at the top of the throttle pedal. Do not push in but down only, if you do not do this and push in this may lead to damage to the grey locking clip. Caution required it can be very stubborn.

DTUK Pedal Box Installation video here:

User Review:

New out of the box you are greeted with a button at the top of the unit and two buttons underneath. The top button enables you to toggle programs ( Sport, Sport Plus and City ) and the next two buttons beneath allow you to fine tune these settings to your individual taste, top button provides the plus settings with +1, +2, +3 and the bottom button with the minus settings, -1, -2, -3 adjustments etc. You can toggle through the modes on the fly whilst driving and even turn the box off, all using the top button which is in easy reach. The box will store the last setting used until it is switched off.

Turning on the box for the first time you are greeted with program 1 which is Sport Mode – shown by an Amber light. In this setting you can instantly feel the difference in throttle travel and the reduced amount of time the car takes to respond. The car is more receptive to your inputs from the word go. With just over 10% throttle and you can sense the car is eager to please, it feels more alive and ready to deliver performance. For a large number of situations it’s actually quite a nice setting. My personal preference is to have this setting just dialed down by -1 or -2. On a B road it’s a gem of a setting providing you with the confidence to overtake swiftly and importantly safely. I have used this mode about 15% of the time and it’s my go to setting for B road fun.

The next setting on the box is Sport Plus - shown by a red light. This in my opinion is a little too aggressive and pretty much takes all of the lag and throttle travel away from the physical pedal. Some will love this and find it really fun but in my opinion it’s not really drivable around town or in heavy traffic. Amazingly you can still dial this up even further if you wish, using the + button but why you would want to do that is beyond me. It does have its uses though. On a Motorway it provides effortless overtaking and easy cruising, the slightest dab of your right foot propelling you suddenly far quicker down the road. I have probably used this about 5% of the time. Crazy fun, but not quite what I really need.

The final setting is City Mode - reflected by a green light and probably my personal favorite setting and the one I have used for about 80% of the time. It offers a superb blend of drivability and access to the cars performance, reducing lag just enough to make it fun and noticeable but still maintaining that all important throttle feel (that I personally like). It’s funny when you have used this setting as much as I have you very quickly get used to it but not in a dismissive way but a very nice, pleasant way. I have mentioned using Sport mode for B roads but this City mode is almost as good and quite often I have just left it in this for all situations. Sometimes adding a +1 to it, but most of the time just leaving it as it is. Its the perfect blend of performance and adjustability.

After using the Pedal box for a while, Its amusing when you physically switch the box off and you drive the car normally. You realize wow that little box of tricks really does make a difference. With the box off the best way I can describe the difference in sensation, is the throttle pedal feels like you have cotton wool or a large sponge under your foot. You press down, then further down, then finally , aaah there it is, you have power. With the pedal box on you press down on the throttle pedal and you have power, pretty much instantly. How aggressive and responsive this is under your foot is up to you based on the settings you choose.

Below is a graph showing a simple guide to the modes and what they are doing to the throttle response.

Pedal Box Graph

Conclusion:

I have to hold my hand up and admit I was initially a bit of a cynic. I had previously and very briefly driven an S3 with a pedal box fitted and I was not convinced it was me. I even posted as much on here.

However after testing the latest product and using one for a number of weeks I am converted. I really am. I love it. What I did not know from the original quick test drive was the adjustability and number of settings the unit offers, allowing the user to really fine tune programs to suit both your car and driving style / mood.

For me these settings are pretty spot on straight out of the box. City mode (green light) is really nice for most situations, including parking. It provides quick access to the cars power whilst still keeping enough throttle movement to allow for adjustability mid corner and for example plenty of throttle travel whilst in town for maneuverability. This ensures you don’t look like a berk, leap frogging down the road etc.

The next setting in terms of aggression is Sport mode (Amber light) which takes things a little further and is a treat to use on a B road where there might for example be overtaking opportunities. Thus ensuring you always have instant access to the cars power, just a little quicker, sharper in fact over City mode.

The third setting is Sport plus (red light) and is probably too aggressive for most situations (for me anyway) however I did test one example where it came into its own. On a motorway where you need to keep just the right distance to the car in front without dropping back (allowing that cheeky motorist on the inside to slip in / undercut) in this example it proved magical, effortless in maintaining the gap.

The final mode / setting I guess is of course off and is very easy to activate, perfect for parking or just easing into a tight garage for example.

The stock car is quick, but once you have owned one for a while and driven it, I mean really driven it, there are times when you feel it needs a little something more. It’s at this point when most people who get that itch either scratch it by trading in their car for an even quicker model or start to look at the tuning route. I know that’s what I did…. BUT….….Before you head down the tuning route, I would certainly consider the Pedal Box. I wish I had done so 12 months ago.

Fit one to a standard car, turn the Pedal Box on and you can instantly feel the difference. The car is more alive, more agile somehow and ready to deliver its true natural power to you at the slightest additional pressure from your right foot. Thankfully it does this without compromising the cars rhythm and smoothness (at least in the lower settings, City and Sport modes for example) and does not seem to create any jerkiness from the DSG gear box that the FSR+ tuning box could sometimes create.

The Pedal box on its own offers a blend of settings that compliment the car and enhance the driving experience. With the added benefit that you can switch between these programs (Sport, Sport plus and City modes), tweak them to your individual taste ( +3 or -3 settings) and even turn the unit off/on at the flick of a switch whilst on the move.

It’s clear that DTE/DTUK have continued to improve the product both from a hardware point of view and from the software side. This continuous evolution shows in just how good the product is. DTE/DTUK have Listened to users and I believe learnt throughout the entire process which has spanned several years. What more could you ask for!

Well in my opinion there is just one more thing. … (Well come on you should know me by now)…

DTE/DTUK Please... Please can you improve the grey clip on the connector which fits to the pedal, it’s the Achilles heel of the product. Installing the device is very easy but removing it, is delicate / tricky and to be honest far more awkward than it really should be. Mine was / is very tough. If a large RED clip was used, just like the stock / standard unit it would be so much easy to remove. This would be the icing on the top of the cake.

I have historically said that FSR+ Tuning box was probably the best bang for buck performance upgrade you could make however on reflection the Pedal box probably, (now I am going to put my neck out here) .. probably pips it at the post and takes the crown. It simply brings the car alive. It’s a great addition to a stock car, improving access to the cars power, providing confidence and reassurance that you do actually have a 300bhp car! For many that might be just what they are really looking for to tackle that little “scratch”. The fact that it can also be used on a tuned car makes it a superb addition in my opinion. I’ll certainly be keeping it with the MTM box. I absolutely love it... There I didn't think I would say that when this all started !!

Go try one of the new units for yourselves, you might, just might be pleasantly surprised, I was. ….

Speak to DTUK…..What are you waiting for!

Apologies again... I am starting to make a habit of lengthy posts... but hopefully its useful and might help someone else who is on the fence...

Thank you. for reading.. and thanks to @ABYSS for allowing me to review and use the product.

Jungle

Reactions: Phil3, ammo-mcr, Chimp and 11 others
brilliant write up, tempted to purchase one.

Reactions: jungle650
Great stuff! I am thinking about getting one now too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 'friend' of mine purchased one for 1.4 TSFI COD 150bhp

It does make a difference, he also got the tuning box, but is waiting to fit that with a little assistance. The write up above is spot on, the sport plus does seem WAY too aggressive in first gear. Sport is where the car feels totally different and actually feels like its been remapped in some way even though there is no difference to the power output of the car. Anyone who says its a waste of money and why can you just mash the throttle has this product wrong. Excellent write up.

I was going to get one of these, but after installing the DTUK Stage 2 CRD3+ tune box in my TDI(which is awesome by the way) i don't really know if i need it ?, as the tune box has improved the throttle response as well. I spose i need to do a search and find a review from some one who has what i have and then put the pedal box on after ?.

Great review

I was going to get one of these, but after installing the DTUK Stage 2 CRD3+ tune box in my TDI(which is awesome by the way) i don't really know if i need it ?, as the tune box has improved the throttle response as well. I spose i need to do a search and find a review from some one who has what i have and then put the pedal box on after ?.

Great review

Its probably best to find someone with exactly the same set up as you, or a specific review. I can only comment with regards to the petrol S3, which responds very well to the pedal box.

It might also be worth actually calling the DTUK team as they are very knowledgable and seem pretty honest in their approach. They run many different cars and I am sure will be able to tell you one way or the other if it might suit your diesel set up.

All the best
Jungle

Great stuff! I am thinking about getting one now too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont forget if you are thinking of ordering to either call DTUK direct and ask for Andrew or use the Audi Sport discount code - ASN80 discount code on the web.

Just installed and tried out the Pedal Box from DTUK. OMG its amazing how much different and responsive the throttle is now to deliver the power.

I have a TDI with a stage 2 DTUK CRD3+ Tuning box and now the Pedal Box, the acceleration is crazy. I thought it was awesome before with just the Tuning Box!, now its mental

Installing was very easy. I have the wire tucked down between the plastic and carpet with the unit to the right of my seat(by the runner) which is handy so i can reach down and grab while driving to change the setting.

I have played around with the settings and I like SPORT with a -1.

Or maybe if I'm on a long drive I think ECO with a +2 might be good

All in all I'm very, very happy with it

EDIT - Forgot to say, after turning the engine off the LED's on the Pedal Box stay on!, which is normal because when the ECU powers down the Pedal Box will power down!(I asked this question to Simon on the DTUK website chat thing to confirm if it does power down or not lol).

Last edited:
Does this Pedal box work the same way that Drive select would work? I have my throttle response set to dynamic and this feels pretty spot on for me. I am currently weighing up where to opt for a tuning box.

I take it this is undetectable if you remove the unit? i.e. does it affect warranty in any way?

Does this Pedal box work the same way that Drive select would work? I have my throttle response set to dynamic and this feels pretty spot on for me. I am currently weighing up where to opt for a tuning box.

A pedal box is seperate and not linked to drive select. As the review states it changes the response of the throttle so that on its most aggressive setting for example you simply have to apply feather like pressure to the pedal for maximum response acceleration wise. If you are thinking about improving response then its an option to consider which is a quick an easy addition. It makes a noticable difference.

I love it, but like everything. People have their own opinions and all drive their cars differently.

My advice would be to contact DTUK tell them you have read the review on here and are thinking about the device. If you are close to them pop down there. You can then test one on your car.

Jungle

I take it this is undetectable if you remove the unit? i.e. does it affect warranty in any way?

It is removed in seconds without a trace and should not cause any issues. If in any doubt talk to DTUK.

For those with pedalbox who are you insured with and how did you describe it?