DTM brake upgrade?

DTM_Dan

Reaction score
I will be needing new discs all round in the summer for my 55 DTM. I want to take the opportunity to put some decent pads, braided hoses and better brake fluid but also wanted to look at the options on the disc/calipers?

i don't have the budget to go for the RS4 setup but I have read that the 3.0 tdi has larger discs and with a new caliper carrier I can use my existing calipers? Is this true? What have others done?

hey bud, i'm not entirely sure braided lines will make much difference, the cars aren't that old yet but thats your call.

i enquired with audi for new DTM specific 320mm discs and the price was ridiculous. i'd also just fitted 19" wheels and the 320's were looking a little lost plus the fact k04 upgrade was on the cards so decided to go down the S4 345mm route.

i picked up a pair of discs drilled and grooved cheper than one dtm disc from audi, also bought some S4 front calipers, i was told that i could just swap the carriers and use my existing calipers. i fitted the carriers but the top and bottom edges of the caliper were too close for my liking so just popped the complete set up on.

brakes are so much better and i'm not even on the best pads, i will upgrade again soon though if some reasonably priced RS4 brakes come up as i'm hoping to crack 400bhp with mine :)

hey bud, i'm not entirely sure braided lines will make much difference, the cars aren't that old yet but thats your call.

i enquired with audi for new DTM specific 320mm discs and the price was ridiculous. i'd also just fitted 19" wheels and the 320's were looking a little lost plus the fact k04 upgrade was on the cards so decided to go down the S4 345mm route.

i picked up a pair of discs drilled and grooved cheper than one dtm disc from audi, also bought some S4 front calipers, i was told that i could just swap the carriers and use my existing calipers. i fitted the carriers but the top and bottom edges of the caliper were too close for my liking so just popped the complete set up on.

brakes are so much better and i'm not even on the best pads, i will upgrade again soon though if some reasonably priced RS4 brakes come up as i'm hoping to crack 400bhp with mine :)

whats the difference between s4 and rs4 brakes, and once you have put the disc and calipers on dont you need to change the brake servo

S4 are same as the standard calipers just a bit larger and can be had from £300

rs4 are a completely different set up with 8 pot calipers and 2 peice discs and can be had from £1000 if you're lucky

S4 are same as the standard calipers just a bit larger and can be had from £300

rs4 are a completely different set up with 8 pot calipers and 2 peice discs and can be had from £1000 if you're lucky

i have s4 avant, is it just a straight swap for rs4 brakes, do i need any other parts.
Thanks

Another option is to go cayenne six pots like me,you can get off the shelf two piece proper floating rotors for the conversion fron girodisc in the U.S.they look really well made and the guys in the states that take their cars regulary on track rate them.Girodisc also sell the caliper mounting conversion bolts and mrc sells the hoses for them .The other disc option is merc ml55 discs with a slight bit of machining but so much cheaper see my thread on the conversion .

how much are these conversions Andy?

is pedal feel comparable? i remember going porsche swap on my old car and piston size was a little off and pedal feel was terrible.

get the bigger discs here for £117 Search Results : MTEC Brakes, Performance Brake Discs, Sport Brake Discs

and carriers here

Audi B7 A4 FWD 2.0T > Braking > Big Brake OEM > ES#4522 Front Big Brake Kit - Slotted GEOMET Coated Rotors - B7A4S1FSLT

i just ordered the carriers which i think are Schwaben? they fitted perfectly and made a big difference to the braking whilst keeping an OEM look and pads/disc options affordable.

Side by side pic of the carriers
8019472252_752dc9691c_z.jpg

Last edited:
All depends on how much you can source the cayenne 18 z calipers for i paid 500 ,adaptor bolts are $ 50 ,ml discs were 40 each ,mrc rs4 1 piece hoses were about 50,girodiscs are a lot more but i will change to those eventually .Pedal feel is quite good although the unknown pads that came with the calipers may be the source of a lack of bite which i would like change for a more aggressive feel compound. With ml discs the set up is simular weight as stock even with bigger discs but girodiscs lose a chunk of weight with better high temp qualities.

thanks for the info, what mm are the ml discs?

did you but adaptor brackets/ carriers to fit the caliper to the a4 hub?

Ok - so S4 option looks a good option

are the s4 calipers an improvement over the stock dtm ones?

may be a silly question but do you need to do any coding? As I notice the abs coding picks up brake spec!

im pretty sure the 3.0tdi already has the bigger front Discs mate. I could be wrong.

thanks for the info, what mm are the ml discs?

did you but adaptor brackets/ carriers to fit the caliper to the a4 hub?
345mm and i made my adaptor bolts ,the holes line up but need special stepped bolts and nuts due to different bolt diameters, but much easier to buy them from giro disc.See my fitment thread its got loads of info and pics.No brackets carriers needed !Sorry pics now removed from original thread.

Last edited: