DSG with 110k miles

johnsnow

Reaction score
Im going to look at a TDi A3 DSG and im just wondering with it being such a high milage car what i should be looking out for? is there anything costly that should have been done by the milage -OR- could possible fail at this milage?

Im also a little wary of the DSG gearbox.. im guessing this is expensive to repair

help/tips very much appreciated

Ideally you want full service history. Check that the DSG oil has been changed at around 40k and 80k miles. There have been common issues with porous cylinder heads on the earlier diesel engines but tbh I dont know a great deal about them!

There are plenty of threads on here discussing common issues with the deisel engines but if it's been well maintained and you can get a reasonable warranty with it should be fine.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the diesel front will be along soon to better advise you...

I dont know too much about the diesel A3 but make sure the dsg oil been changed every 40k as Hellz said. Try a thread search should of bought up some good threads

To be honest, if its got that far then its not going to have head issues etc. If its not smoking, sounds happy, DSG changes smoothly on the paddles up and down, pulls away with no clonks etc. Has a service history for at least the first 80k miles........then its luck of the gods but in your favour i would think.
At that mileage anything could go from exhaust to disc's, engine to gearbox but chances are you will be fine. Its a good solid set up.

If its the 2.0 tdi whatever the mileage check it out for porpous head issues. Mines had over 120k and it went. Signs are coolent loss. Also check the turbo, make sure there are no whining sounds (not that it will, just a thought)

Check for full service history and if you are able to ring the dealers where its been serviced for more info as not everything is shown in the service history book unless the car comes with receipts.

As said above the DSG needs oil changes every 40k, so worth making sure this has also been done twice. Check reverse has no odd creaking noises.

Just have a real good test drive and see if there is anything obvious, if you ring Audis customer Service, they can also give some info on service work carried out.

Good luck and hope its a good example!