1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSG vs M/T?

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by wom8at, Apr 8, 2003.

1. wom8at

wom8at New Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    has there been any comparasions of the DSG against a manual gear box or a Tiptronic? As good as it sounds DSG seems to be slower....

figures of DSG TT (3.2)
    0-100Kph 6.4 with 250km/h top speed 250HP
    manual TT (1.8T)
    0-100Kph 6.3 with 230km/h top speed 225HP

IMHO we need to see some track times of a M/T and DSG car with same engine
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 8, 2003]
    thats a good point. THe 3.2 has about 300lb/ft torque so SHOULD be quicker than the 1.8T TT anyway, and i would have thought that with DSG (if it actually works like audi says) should be much quicker than a manual box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich
  4. Crafty

Crafty Member

[Apr 8, 2003]
    V6 is alot heavier, works against it.

the new gearbox is probably more suited to the V6 engine characteristics, i.e. the gears are longer and probably further apart.
    Be interesting to see the ratios against a 1.8T box.
  5. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Apr 18, 2003]
    Just read in this weeks Autocar that Porsche are looking to adopt a similar system to the DSG twin clutch thingy.

I think it is widely accepted that Audi have created the best semi-auto gearbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  6. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Apr 18, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    S3 Moff said:
    Just read in this weeks Autocar that Porsche are looking to adopt a similar system to the DSG twin clutch thingy.

I think it is widely accepted that Audi have created the best semi-auto gearbox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for it's change downs......because it always has the next gear up in waiting when you come to change down it has to re-evaluate the situation, select a different gear and then change down, which lets it down a bit from what I've read, especially when you've got used to the lightening speed change ups.

But hey, it's close enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif