1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSG Rattles at Idle

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 3.2Chris, Feb 23, 2009.

1. 3.2Chris

3.2Chris New Member

As the title says my 3.2 has a nice rattle at idel which goes once in gear. Are there any known or common fauts before I toddle off to the dealers before my warranty runs out?

Thanks

Chris
  2. firebobby

firebobby Member

Hmm! Don't quote me on this but, it sounds like a DMF problem....If they have one that is!!
    regards
    dave
  3. 3.2Chris

3.2Chris New Member

Whats a DMF? :think:
  4. edition

edition Active Member

Duel Mass Flywheel.
  5. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

Hi mate,

Dont know to link threads but if you look at my - S3 Fly Wheel Problems from two days ago...

"I have been searching for some time on the site for information on a problem with my 2007 S3; in that over the last few months I have been plagued by a metallic knocking noise from the engine between 2k -4k revs, underload. Not unlike the engine noise of the old Talbot Sunbeam - i.e. ****."

Mine is a manual (of course), but could be the same.

AR
  6. 3.2Chris

3.2Chris New Member

Thanks all, going to book it in asap.. they have said that they will have to charge me going rate for diagnostics if no fault is found... thats not right is it (still in my 1 year listers audi warranty)
  7. Philipstormy

Philipstormy Member

Just clearly state to them that the Rattle is not normal and so therefore is a warrenty issue!! Dont take any **** from em!! To be honest a rattle would more than likely be a mechanical problem and will doubt very much if VAGCOM picks up anything!! so they could just be trying a fast one!!:no:
  8. edition

edition Active Member

My dealer tried that on with me. I told them I wasn't going to pick the car back up until it was sorted F.O.C. They sorted it....

I always find you have the upper hand when you get a courtesy car off them :)
  9. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Is the rattle actually from the gearbox itself or could it be from the gear change linkage. I had a slight rattle from the centre lever which the dealer cured whilst it was in for serive by re-greasing all the linkage.