1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSG PRNDS is flashing help?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Lewbo, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    As title says started my car about 30 mins ago to defrost it left it running for 10 mins came back and the PRNDS is flashing so turned the car off and started up again and did exactly the same thing. When I put it Into reverse it drove an the same when I put it into D it drove but still kept flashing. So I turned the car off and left in N and then started it up again and didn't flash at all in any gear until I put it back in P. So I plugged it in and this came up
    Gear lever X-Y position sensor circuit.
    Does anyone know what this is and how it can be fixed.
    Has it happened to anybody before or is
    Just this cold weather.
    My car is 57 plate 2.0 tfsi showing just under 39k
    All help appreciated thanks
  2. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Does it drive ok through the gears? The flashing numbers normally suggest a mechatronic issue and is normally quite serious/expenisve but in these cases the car normally refuses to change gear
  3. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Yea the car drives absolutely fine through the gears that's what I don't understand.soon as it's in park it just flashes but even when it's flashing stil drives exactly the same no problems at all. Has anyone else had this problem before?
  4. Dean's A3

Dean's A3 TDI S3 Hybrid

[Nov 28, 2010]
    I think it's the freezing temps that's causing the problem, usually with a DSG fault it's the gear numbers that flash as opposed to your one. When the numbers are flashing it's gone to back up mode. You could try driving it round till water temp has gone up to normal operating temperature as see if this helps...
  5. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    I have tried this just done a 20 mile round trip with no problems what so ever in auto or manual took it upto 80mph just got home put it in park and still flashing it's strange
  6. rickyquicky

rickyquicky Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Check the small plastic plug under the leather gaiter that goes into the illuminated 'P R N D S' part.

I took the plug out when I changed my interior trims over and I left it unplugged for a few days and it used to flash up on the dash like you say. It obviously went as soon as I plugged it back in.

So its not neccessarily something major!
  7. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    I have also checked this out and still no joy maybe it's the gear selector it's self if it was anything serious it wouldn't drive it all. Is there anything else i could check? Has this happened to anybody before
  8. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    I have located one from a golf r32 does anyone know if all selectors are the same throughout all dsg models