1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSG jamming issue?

jbaudi May 21, 2012

1. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

Hi All,

I've had my DSG 2.0 tdi 2005 for a month or so now and 90% of the time it runs perfect... however, once or twice I've been using the paddles and all of a sudden the '6 5 4 3 2 1' on the screen disappears, followed by the original 'R N D S' re appearing with all letters lit up red and flashing. At this point the paddles become in affective and the gears are not changing automatically either, so in other words in jams in one gear... the only thing that returns it to normal is to stop the car, turn off and restart!

Can anyone advise what this might be??

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. gary3306

gary3306 Active Member VCDS Map User

When was it last serviced?

3. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

Well I only just bought the car, so I don't know the exact history, but the paperwork shows they did a service before the sale. It was a dealer though so you never really know what they've actually done! Are you talking about a DSG specific service if there si such a thing?

4. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

Oil and filter for DSG at 40000. Expensive! Cost me £193...

Read the handbook, it tells you about the flashing display.

5. gary3306

Yea, as fangio says. If its never been done, then that won't be helping matters and may even be the sole cause (particularly if the filter is blocked with crud). Worth doing that first.

6. Ads

Ads License to drive

Pray its not a mechatronic problem. If it is then I'd be going straight back to the dealer you bought it from, as its a new gearbox job and could effectively write-off your car.

7. gary3306

I was trying not to frighten him to death too early lol, but hey..........:)

As Ads says though, if it is a new box, you're talking biiiiig bucks.

8. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

From the handbook:-

It's a back-up system for when there's a fault with the control system. The segments all go out or all light up. Stays in 3rd gear, can still use reverse. Tiptronic not available.

Caution! If the gearbox should ever switch into the back-up programme you should take the vehicle to a workshop as soon as possible.

Is it under warranty?

9. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

no it's not :( I'll get it checked out asap, guessing audi is the most trust worthy place to take it??

10. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

Private buy?

If you know a good independent with VAG experience, use him: if not, main dealer.
    It's expensive oil!

11. TWO2TUF

TWO2TUF THE STIG!!

DSG gearbox need servicing ever certain miles mate i would go back to the dealer should be covered under the warranty they provide hope you sort it out asap keep us updated

12. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

My DSG S3 used to Jam, then I stopped listening to Paul Weller.

It didnt happen again.