DSG gearbox, how to change between gears?

dorgs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im after ordering a new A3 1.4t dsg, my question is what do you have to do to move between the different drive options? i.e. do you need to press down on the stick and then slide, or is there a button im not seeing?

i know it prob seems like a stupid Q, but im a wheelchair user and have reduced hand function so may need to adapt the gear lever. Im famaliar with old style lever as have something similar on my golf gt and works fine for me, any info would be great.

tks

Hello!
You push a button on the stick and slide up and down.. as far as i know

Theres a button on the side of the stick. which will allow you to slide it up and down.

Theres the button on the side of the stick as mentioned above or you can use the paddles on the steering wheel. But to engage neutral etc you would have to use the gear stick.

My wife recently had a test drive in a new Polo 1.4t with a DSG gearbox and the button was on the side of the srick closest to the centre console rather than on the side as my current S-tronic (DSG). I think this is similar to those on the S3.

She did in fact find it a bit more difficult to use that the side button which is just where you place your thumb on the stick and the Polo didn't have steering wheel paddles either.

tks all 4 the info, does anyone have a pic of where the button is? just cant find any closeup pics of the new style gear lever showing the button.

tks again

a friend of mine has this knob in his 1.4t my10
imagem259xf3.jpg

i see this is a 2011, think the button is now at the very front on the stick! From what i remember driving one a few months back, you can go form R - N - D - S just be holding the on the break pedal and pushing/pulling the gear stick back/forth! The button only needs to be used to get it into P and out of P

The button (front, side or wherever) is used to ulock the lever from the P position. Move the lever backwards to the D position and you are in auto mode. Changing up/down in D can be accomplished by utilising the paddle shifters, but if the lever is left in D after a period of time the system reverts back to auto.

With the lever in the D position you can move it to the left and you will be in manual mode with M showing in the DIS. You can now change gear using the paddles or pushing the lever forwards to go "up" the gearbox or pull back to go "down" the gearbox. In M mode the electronics will take over if you "forget" to change gear.

Moving the lever fully back to the S position puts the gearbox into Sport mode where the gears are held longer and much further up the rev range. This can also be used for launch control but that is another story.

tks for clearing this up, should be ok w/o modifying if it's just a button on top of stick.