1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dsg comparisons

tinka Sep 22, 2005

1. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

...no one is being forced to read this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but you know what it's like when you see that new message icon....It's like putting a paedo in a school and telling him not to touch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef, risque but very funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

2. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

Boring....the DSG is an automatic transmission. If you want a manual or get a buzz out of stirring the cogs for some reason whilst screwing the nuts of your motor (why?) then an Auto isn't for you.

The whole transmission thing moving rapidly; manual gearboxes have remained more or less basically the same for a good 50 years. Auto boxes evolved slowly until automotive electronics came of age around 10-15 years ago. Now an Auto can be as efficient as a manual with similar are even better performance.

BTW the concept of the DSG and the zero drive loss when shifting gear ratios is actually a pre-war idea......the materials technology wasn't there then to make it viable.

Stop all the bitching guys - it is exceeding dull for the rest of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

Me too, I had stopped reading anything on this forum with DSG in the subject line, not wishing to flame you Bowfer but what exactly gave you the idea that a car without a clutch would be in your opinion, as good as a car with one?! ?!?!?!?!?!

Just got back from the Lake district, 700 miles of awesome twisty, fast sweeping, quick dual carriageways and of course the M6 - wouldnt want any other gearbox!!!

4. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Me too, I had stopped reading anything on this forum with DSG in the subject line, not wishing to flame you Bowfer but what exactly gave you the idea that a car without a clutch would be in your opinion, as good as a car with one?! ?!?!?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.
    I expected manual mode to mean manual mode,not be a complete lie.

If it truly were manual mode,I'd probably be a happy owner.

5. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

y
    a
    w
    n

6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    y
    a
    w
    n

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.... even though I do agree with bowfer

7. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm now that would be annoying - Audi just extended the 'Tiptronic' concept of automatic transmission override to another gearbox family (DSG) - thats it, no more and no less. I guess the clever marketing just tipped you over the edge?

I won't have anything other than an Auto now - I quite literally wore my left knee out with over 870,000 miles in a ten year period. The surgery hurt (lots). I won't be going there again, accept it as an Auto and enjoy.

8. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you often drive a manual bouncing off of the rev limiter or driving up to a roundabout in 6th?!?

sheesh

9. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

anyway, back to the thread - does everyone elses DSG seem lumpy when in manual and in slow moving traffic? If its in D mine is as smooth as a babies backside, if in manual then its like a learner driver, or is there something I should be doing?

10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Mine is definitely smoother in slow moving traffic in D than manual. I generally drive in manual mode most of the time, but I always click it across into D when in slow moving traffic.

Thats what I like about the DSG - you can choose which mode you prefer for a given situation.

11. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    anyway, back to the thread - does everyone elses DSG seem lumpy when in manual and in slow moving traffic? If its in D mine is as smooth as a babies backside, if in manual then its like a learner driver, or is there something I should be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen very carefully to the car in 1st - are there any noises? Is there a grinding, whining noise if you accelerate to about 3000rpm in first then change to second after the change for about 1-2 seconds?

If so, thats how my DSG was and its a problem with the clutch(es) - mine is so lumpy and not smooth at all in 1st it's not funny. It has even stalled on occasions.....

12. Fuzzman

Fuzzman Member

I am very sorry but on mine the DSG is not lumpy at all.Round town in D mode it is smooth and in Manual mode there is no problem at all.

But I am in the new SFG 3 Door 3.2 V6 (which they may have update the software) and I do not known what the 2.0 FSI and the 2.0 tDI is like.

13. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    I am very sorry but on mine the DSG is not lumpy at all.Round town in D mode it is smooth and in Manual mode there is no problem at all.

But I am in the new SFG 3 Door 3.2 V6 (which they may have update the software) and I do not known what the 2.0 FSI and the 2.0 tDI is like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was smooth at first, but started to get a bit jerky, which got progressively worse, then this odd noise started at which point I took it in to Audi who have confirmed that it needs new clutch packs etc etc.

Apparently there is a software upgrade for the DSG box in my car to correct a stalling when manoeuvering(sp) problem, but I got this info from this forum and the dealer has not mentioned it, even though I have said that the car has stalled on a number of occasions....

14. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

Exactly what David said.

15. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My DSG has always been jerky in manual mode in slow moving traffic.
    It is,as you say,like a learner driver with poor clutch control.
    When you come off the throttle,it jerks (in a manual you would press the clutch as you release the throttle to stop the jerk).
    I always use D in slow traffic to avoid the jerking.

16. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

I agree that generally DSG is more jerky in manual as apposed to D in slow traffic. However I have noticed that using the stick rather than paddles improves this considerably.

17. simonl

simonl Member

Why would you want to use manual in slow traffic anyway?!?

18. h5djr

I agree LeMan. When I'm in traffic I always use D because, as much as anything else, I tend to click it forward into N when I'm actually stooped rather than blind the driver behind with my brake lights.

I always used to hate it when people did that to me and I now I try not to do it to others.

19. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thought I had, wouldn't you be thinking "thank goodness i bought an automatic"?

Or would you be dreaming of a knob (gear)...........

20. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree LeMan. When I'm in traffic I always use D because, as much as anything else, I tend to click it forward into N when I'm actually stooped rather than blind the driver behind with my brake lights.

I always used to hate it when people did that to me and I now I try not to do it to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus it stops you warping your discs

21. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,but that's making excuses for a shortcoming.
    It doesn't matter which mode it's in,it shouldn't jerk like Douglas Badder is driving,should it ?

22. simonl

simonl Member

Why is it a shortcoming.
    It's a crossover gearbox and as such should be treated like one. Use the paddles for performance driving and the auto mode for when you want to be lazy.

I'm sure D mode isn't great for performance driving, just like the paddles aren't suited for slow traffic.

23. h5djr

I thought it was only bowfer who dreamed about gear knobs....

24. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

I do tend to use D when in traffic, just sometimes when up for a hack on the way home from work i forget and its a bit lumpy at the two annoying roundabouts on the A1 that people seem to queue at for no reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But LeMan - totally agree, manual in traffic is pointless! which is why i soon switch it back to D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif