DSG Clutch problems

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
So, I get in my car this week to drive to the airport, and being very anti-everything at 4 in the morning, I had no music on, just the sweet tune (!?) of the TDi (engine, not TDiLine, lol) and heard this horrible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifed bearing noise when pulling away...... It's there all the time, every time you move in 1st.....

So, after calling around the local dealers who were all about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, I dropped in to Aylesbury Audi as it is on the way to the GF's place....

They were excellent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, took my baby out and came back to say:

We think one of the clutches has burnt out. There might be a new upgraded part as this is the case for A4's. You can carry on driving it, we'l book it in for next month for 2 days.

So upshot is, they have to take an oil sample, test it, check for swarf, then replace any required components....

All this at 12,000 miles!!! Anyone heard of similar problems?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it chipped by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish!!! Nah totally standard, except for a lack of badging at the back... Audi will probably say the weight difference this made caused the failure and therefore it won't be covered by warranty, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

According to the tech, (and I don't think I was supposed to hear this) there is a "common" fault with the clutches on A4 DSG cars which has led to a new, upgraded clutch pack for them....

Maybe I just drive too hard

A4s are not available with the DSG gearbox.

The in-line engine models use the totally different Multitronic gearbox which is a CVT with metal bands and electronic control of change points.

The DSG is basically an electronically controlled manual geabox with twin clutches in an oil-bath.

[ QUOTE ]

The in-line engine models use the totally different Multitronic gearbox which is a CVT with metal bands and electronic control of change points.

The DSG is basically an electronically controlled manual geabox with twin clutches in an oil-bath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm thats a bit odd then... I'm sure the tech said about being a common issue on A4's.....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The A4 CVT and the DSG do have one thing in common.....in place of a coventional automtaic transmission's torque convertor is a multiplate clutch running in an oil bath. I'd guess that actual design is different though the concept will be similar?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The A4 CVT and the DSG do have one thing in common.....in place of a coventional automtaic transmission's torque convertor is a multiplate clutch running in an oil bath. I'd guess that actual design is different though the concept will be similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

That might explain it!