1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drowned my Key

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by biggles195, Nov 24, 2011.

1. biggles195

biggles195 New Member

[Nov 24, 2011]
    I have an A6 2.7TDI Avant and on a recent fishing trip accidently drowned my Key. Dried it out carefully but it has died and now I have to manually open the car and lock it.

My question is, can you get the internals of the key fob seperately (the little circuit boad) as a new key and fob cost a fortune? I am assuming I will need to pay the stealers to code the key, but any advice is appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 24, 2011]
    You wont be able to buy the circuit board separate I wouldn't have thought.

You can code the key using VCDS to unlock the door but you will need Audi to code the key to bypass the immobiliser.
  4. biggles195

biggles195 New Member

[Nov 24, 2011]
    Thanks for that, thought as much, TPS on saturday then and the stealers next week.
  5. elan2s

elan2s Member

[Nov 24, 2011]
    From your post it would seem that the only issue you have is that the remote part to lock/unlock the car has stopped working (ie the key will still start the car) If that is the case then it should be possible to transfer the blade and the immobiliser chip to a new remote (plenty for sale on e-bay with the internals as opposed to simply the shell). You will still need to get the dealer to delete the old key and add the new one to the car but it should be a lot less than getting them to replace the key as well.

Since drying the key out I presume you have removed the battery and cleaned the contacts (or even tried a new battery) as it may simply be some residual crud that is stopping the thing working
  6. biggles195

biggles195 New Member

[Nov 25, 2011]
    Yes all cleaned and dried, tried new battery as well but the red light no longer flashes when a button is pressed so I think the circuit board is borked. If the immobiliser is a seperate part I may well be able to use a second hand fob and code it to the doors with VCDS, only noticed the circuit board though when I opened it so assumed it was all programmed into that. I'll check again tonight.
  7. biggles195

biggles195 New Member

[Nov 27, 2011]
    Can only see a circuit board when I open the fob so presumably the immobiliser chip is part of that, ordered new key on Saturday.