Dropping driver's door

Dom Knight

Reaction score
Over the last couple of months I have noticed the drivers door dropping.
So when you close the door it does not meet the latch on the door pillar correctly.

Is it possible to adjust the door hinges in some way ?

yeah you can adjust it.

When I swapped my door, I got a jack with a piece of wood to stop it from damaging the door. Loosing the 12 point spline bolts (think they 10mm) and jack up the door until its at the right high. sort of trial and error but thats what worked for me

good luck

Might be worth looking closely at the hinge as well....I ended up getting mine replaced as it was fecked.

With the bolts all tightened up on the hinge and the door wide open - I was able to lift my door up about 1cm! Plus I had to give the door a right good slam for it to shut properly - or guide it in with my hand and lift it up to the latch!

New hinge + resprayed and it shuts perfect. (I just have a little paint missing from the inside sill above the latch from where it was rubbing previously :( )

Had a bodyshop do mine, took around 10 mins and gave the guy £10.......all good, a fairly simple adjustment if you know what you're doing

Cheers guys.
I dont think I have a 10mm torx bit so, I may opt for the garage to do the job.
So far nothing is rubbing or dragginng on the road.
But it has dropped about 5mm

Cheers guys.

You'd rather pay a garage probably £60 to do it than buy a torx bit for no more than £1 and do it yourself?

Cheers guys.

Its not a torx its a 12 point spline.

you can get a set off ebay for under £10

doesnt make sense to pay a garage for a job so simple...

put it this way, would you call out a kitchen designer to align a sagging coupboard door???;)

Reactions: dre_S3
As yet I have done nothing about the door over the last few weeks.

I am just figuring out how to access the top hinge bolt with the door open.
Pretty sure I can do this job but I may have to wait for swmbo to get a spare pair of hands.
The bottom should be easy enough with an extension bar.
I am considering removing the wing to falcilatate access.

I know it's the door that has dropped because when the door is resting on the stricker and not closed the top line of the door does not line up with the rear wing until the door is closed.

Last edited:
I thought that removing the drivers wing would facilitate access the door pillar hinge bolts.
I managed to undo a few of the wing top bolts but one would not budge and I had to stop trying or damage the bolt.

As we have only had the car about 5 months, I phoned the garage we bought it from and the dealer said he has a m8 who has a body shop.
So I gave the guy a call and he told me to drop it in this morning early and he would look at it.
When I got there he had a look, and tolld me to come back in about 15 mins.
Job's a goodun and the door is sorted.
I asked how much but the guy said that the garage dealer owes him a pint and the job was a freebie to me.

Its not a torx its a 12 point spline.

you can get a set off ebay for under £10

doesnt make sense to pay a garage for a job so simple...

put it this way, would you call out a kitchen designer to align a sagging coupboard door???;)

I just replaced my door and it was torx bolts... Which rounded off so i had to file flats on to each bolt!