droning noise????

JTS4

Yus!
Reaction score
has anyone experienced or come across a droning noise from 40 to 60mph and a clunk or knock taking up the drive and between gearchange on 99 s4....any ideas?

thanks
jon:s4addict:

if i were to guess, its probably a diff mounting gone. Where does the drone/clunk come from on the car?

it seems to be from the back but as with some probs, hard to pinpoint. had the `experts` look at it and there opinions ranges from, front diff, gearbox, driveshaft, and rear diff. no one so far has suggested diff mount, maybe because that would be a cheaper fix and they want the business!!

it sounds related to road speed and disappears when i come off the gas and returns when i plant my foot again. . the clunk seems to be taking up drive play, would that be consistent with the same prob or another?

thanks
jon

drones in all gears?
drone change at all when turning? try a swerve left to right, same as you do when checking bearings.

hi thanks for response
dont drive it hard in 1st, but generally drone is any gear from 40 to 60 then disappears after that poss still there but not audible due to poss road noise?
doesn`t change while turning at all, it stays consistent with road speed and rises in pitch. will try the swerving left to right tomorow to see if that makes a difference and put another post up. does this sound familiar?

thanks
jon

The clunk will be the mounts. The diff mount is quite prone to dying, but the engine and transmission mounts arent much better especially now the cars are all reaching 10+ years old.

As for the whine, check the diff oil level before going any further...

so maybe change engine, box and diff mounts!!! had diff fluid drained and refilled 50/50 fluid and lucas stabilising oil, no difference.....

check out the group buy on uprated ones!