1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRL's and new projectors fitted

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Rudedaubin, May 10, 2013.

1. Rudedaubin

Rudedaubin Member

A few months back I posted about the issues I was having with my factory Xenon lights
    www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/175207-oem-xenon-lights-poor.html
    My solution was to cover the reflectors in foil ,which vastly improved the lights but was always going to be a temporary fix. By luck I found a pair of damaged A5 s line bixenon lights with the led DRLs in, so I bought them, butchered them :) and I'm now at the stage where I've got them working within the factory housings. I've even gone as far as to get the bi xenon part working alongside the stock halogen main beams, and the drl's working and dimming with original lights.They are not finished by any means, I still have to adapt the inner housings which mask the headlight internals, but I'm slowly getting there, and the difference in light output is staggering.

What do you think? I know drls are not to everyones taste but they are kind of oem.

View attachment 15318 View attachment 15319
  2. ASHIHARA

ASHIHARA Member

Looks the deal :rock: ;if i will find some cheap audi headlights with drl`s,i will do the same :sly:
  3. benjie

benjie Member

Regardless of how people think they look (I like them by the way), that's no small job to get them to fit and actually work!

Well done!
  4. Az

Az Hard slammed!

I admire your skills and determination mate! I think your doing a sterling job. I used to do mad fabricating and building my own ccustom parts for my cars years ago, loved doing things like this, but unfortunately don't get the time to these days what with work and a family of 3 kids.

Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to seeing the finished product! :)
  5. JasonS

JasonS Member

Those do look good.
    A good solution to your problem.

Do the bixenon ballasts fit in place of the factory ballasts?
  6. Rudedaubin

Rudedaubin Member

Thanks for the comments guys, The most difficult bits so far have been integrating the wiring to the b6 , as the a5 is using +ve PWM (pulse width modulation) to vary the led brightness when the sidelights are on for example, so I've had to make my own circuit to emulate this. I've used the standard b6 cab ballasts and d2s lamps which with a tiny mod to the bulb fit into the d3s a5 projectors perfectly, the bixenon part of the new projectors is actually a motorised flap within the projector which varies the light output when the high beam is switched on, again this has it's own little circuit board which I found buried within the a5 lights. The xenon lamp is purely on or off, which is also a reason for keeping the original halogen high beam as you need it for flashing the lights. The xenon wiring is left untouched and works are before.
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Impressive work, well done.