DRL issue

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have posted the following thread regarding my coming home - leaving home lights and after some great support from you guys I have sorted my problem but also created another one:-

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=64651

I have now enabled my leaving home lights via 09 cent elect byte o, bit 5

vdsscreenprint1.jpg

but this has created a problem in that I have now lost my DRL's. My headlights come on instead of my DRL's!!!!!

My light switch has three positions 1) DRL (which when turned on now turns on my headlights) 2) side lights (works ok) and 3) headlights (works ok). I don't have rain sensor or auto headlights.

I have a facelift 58 plate Audi A3 cabriolet with Halogen lights. The DRLs appear to be LED lights below the headlight next to the indicator light section.

I have tried every everything I can possibly see to try and activate these but admit i'm now lost and to be honest a bit in experienced with this and don't want to dable to much.

I have also looked in 09 cent elect Byte 21, Bit 0-2 and in the drop down list my car is on Halogen lights. There appears to be a selection for xenons and DRL driving lights but not for halogens and DRL lights as shown below:-

vdsscreenshot2.jpg

I have a fully registered Hex can lead and have donloaded the latest vds software.

Can anyone help me get my DRL's to work. It must be a coding thing but I can't find it.

If anyone can help but needs further info then please let me know.

my VDS scan is as follows:-

Wednesday,21,January,2009,16:11:58:51997
VCDS Version: Release 805.2
Data version: 20090111

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1K0
Scan: 01 03 04 08 09 15 16 17 19 25 26 42 44 46 47 52 56 62 72
VIN: TRUZZZ8PxxxxxXXX Mileage: 3600km/2236miles
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
26-Auto Roof -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door,Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-30-H.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 279 N HW: 8P0 907 279 N
Component: Bordnetz-SG H54 2801
Revision: 00H54000 Serial number: 00000008558454
Coding: AD202F01B0141080EF00001C0000000000094E0164010203002000000000
Shop #: WSC 01236 785 00200
Part No: 8P2 955 119 F
Component: Wischer AU350 H10 0040
Coding: 00056595
Shop #: WSC 01236
No fault code found.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Thanks in advance

Neil

Did you try ticking the North American DRL's instead of Scandinavian?

God its cold outside........

Thanks for your quick reply Nigel - no when I select North American Lights the same happens. I get headlights and rear lights!

I have alos activated the DRL's via the DIS menu but this doesn't do anthing either.

Reactions: Sam_149
thought North American DRL's just turns the rear lights off (instead of on in Scandinavian mode ) ?

Forget the above - to slow in typing !

I would try it with either Bi Xenon with leds etc - options 5 or 6 and see what happens

Richard

OK - in 09 cent elect byte 21 bit 0-2 when I select 05 Bi Xenon with separate DRL the headlights lite up and the main beam lights up but is very dim. In 06 Bi Xenon with LED DRL's when I turn on the light swith the headlights come on and the main beam (very dim) but the dim main beam goes out. In 07 LED light, the heaqdlights come on and the fog lights come on together. This alos happens when I turn the light swith into the full on position.

Confused??

Edit - I must add that if I turn off the leaving home lights in Bit 5 the DRL's work ok!

Well its curiosity aswell for me in comparison to mine worked on for a while recently

So you have the newer facelift front & LED drl's, urm ok, interesting, think might have to email rosstech about the fact it doesnt list halogen with led drl's

If you disable the coming home & have it back as was does it then put them back on? Turn of bit 5 for now & see if that effects, cause wondering if assistance driving light takes control of headlights & effects drl's, I find it stupid the headlights are used for coming home etc as its to bright, my S4 B6 used the fogs which are perfect for this.

Exactly which bytes settings have you changed, have you turned on DIS functions in I think byte 23, advanced comfort think they call, need to know exactly whats been done since starting to do coming home enabling & see if the reverse makes come back on.

Sorry if its repeating things already explained, I'm trying to think it through from start as RT has been bit funny recently for me, found few bugs but no fixes.

Also update your version of VCDS to 805.2 then check 09 again for any differences in byte 21

PS. Can you remove all the unneccessary vcds log except for 09 as scrolling up/down is pain in ****, lol, lol

Just been looking at this http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm#09
Especially Byte 08 Low beam lef / right as DRL
unsure if option is still available on your version of vag com - unsure if its on mine either

If someone could tell me how to create a new list for later versions of vag com it would be helpful

Richard

Starting from scratch is probably the best way to go !

Richard

Thanks Guys, I have updated to 805.2.

I have just been outside and de-activated the leaving home function and the DRL's work fine but the leaving home lights don't work now. The DRL's can also be turned on and off in the DIS function after it has been activated in :-

byte22.jpg

Nigel, it appear to be what you say. The when I select the Assistance driving Lights_Leaving Home Lights it appears to override the DRL's.

I have e-mailed Sebastian at Ross Tech and I have also e-mailed the support centre at ross tech but I haven't had a response. I e-mailed the support centre a couple of days ago. Do they tend to reply fairly quickly??

Thanks Richard for your help also.

1st Sebastian I have emailed some bug & queries over the last few weeks & no reply for a while, so not very happy about this tbh as some of my emails are for a bug & I also discovered another other day so I'm trying to help iron out any anomalies, but alas, I've emailed Bruce asking whats up with Seb to see if he can nudge him.

Urm interesting gonna think about the thought process with the leaving home feature to see if I can mentally work out why its doing this, thing is you dont have a seperate drl switch like auto light/maybe xenon cars which mine is, I just installed mine & added some wiring for the drl's & coded, so slightly different to yours, your drl switch 1st position is gonna be same as my dial on its own where it switches 1 wire(possibly ground) through to the onboard K for me N for you module, which signals the drl's to turn on, can you leave your drl switch to on when you get out of car & lock & they stay of, then when get in car they turn on auto when unlocked or when ignition started, thinking aloud here so excuse my questions.

Whats that screen dump say your Instruments 17'spart number is(sods law I say remove the log then I need it, lol) but just list 17 mate if can so I can see that.

Back to the issue, so when the leaving home is active & you unlock car headlights come on, then when you start car they go of, ye?

Then with leaving home on when you turn switch to drl they dont work when car started & headlights of, also when headlights are turned on drl also doesnt work still ye?

Then when leaving home turned off, drl works when turned to drl position when stationary & also when driving. ye?

Also when leaving home of & headlights turned on fully the drl's work ye?

I ask all these cause audi do some really weird things sometimes.

To note its not the version of vcds that shows you all those features, its the label files for the different module versions, so mines a K so shows me whats in the K module abilities, yours is an N & this has its own abilities, but both are 30 byte so should show the same things but not neccessarily

I think they need to revise 09 long coding byte 21 to include Halogen with LED DRL's cause they havnt allowed for the fact the new cars with halogen have drl's anyway, cause the pre-facelift halogens didnt have DRL's cause the main beam uses the DRL position like bixenons have.

Thats it, thats why, just figured it out, pre-facelift with halogens didnt have drl's, thats why byte 21 only has halogen on its own.

What you need to know or maybe already know is when you change coding it alters what the pins on the modules do, so one setting makes a pin a ground, another makes a pin a live wire, also it possibly could alter the voltage & amphage for that said pin, so thats what it probably needs to do. So basically when you change it to leaving home its probably turning on the headlights & also disabling the led pins without knowing they're actually in use as no option listed for Halogen with LED DRL

Need to email RT about this cause if you think about it, the other options obviously are ok cause it has Bixenon with LED drl listed which facelift bixenon cars have.

Hope makes sense now & thats 3 bugs found in the last 2 week

Whats that screen dump say your Instruments 17'spart number is(sods law I say remove the log then I need it, lol) but just list 17 mate if can so I can see that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8P0-920-xxx-17-MY8.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 920 982 C HW: 8P0 920 982 C
Component: KOMBIINSTR. VDO H15 0820
Revision: D0H15004 Serial number: 2244H004000685
Coding: 0004428
Shop #: WSC 00121 210 57622

No fault code found.

Back to the issue, so when the leaving home is active & you unlock car headlights come on, then when you start car they go of, ye?

Then with leaving home on when you turn switch to drl they dont work when car started & headlights of, also when headlights are turned on drl also doesnt work still ye?

Yes to the above. When light switch in the DRL position my headlights are lit.

Then when leaving home turned off, drl works when turned to drl position when stationary & also when driving. ye?

Yes

Also when leaving home of & headlights turned on fully the drl's work ye?

I can't really see due to the reflection but I think it is. I don't have the DRL's consisting of several LED;s accross the top of the headlight, I have one led light where the side light is.

I think they need to revise 09 long coding byte 21 to include Halogen with LED DRL's cause they havnt allowed for the fact the new cars with halogen have drl's anyway

With my limited knowledge I thought about this aswell and did sort of think about it in my original thread (link in post 1)

Nigel - I notice that Sebastian has been active today in the posting about Vag com which you were also party too (I agree with you regarding cheap leads - I shelled out for a genuine one!)

Sebastian - If you read this, did you received my e-mail and can you help please. I am unable to PM you.

Thanks again, I know this is quite trivial but its doing my head in!!

Neil

Good man (ref Lead)

yeah I think its that, but you've now thrown spanner in works, whats this led drl you have as I havnt seen this now, this has really got me, can you post image of your headlight to show the drl as always thought the drl were same for all types on the facelift now, remove number plate of course

Its the same as this one taken from the fourtitude forum.

Capture.jpg

Is that clear enough? If not I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow. The light which is lit above is my DRL. It is also in the same position as the side light. Looking inside they may be the same bulb but different brightness. Its difficult to see through the lens though.

Can you confirm this sidelight/drl possibility fella when you can see clearly, then can report back more to RT huh

Its new on me as havnt seen that on the halogen facelifts, learn something new everyday

Thanks Nigel. Took some pictures of my cars headlight this morning:-

lights.jpg

Not too clear, but the top picture is with side lights and the bottom one with DRL. Looking more closly they are the same bulb. (I say bulb cause on reflection it doesn't look like an LED). Will your ETKA tell you this?

There must be someone else out there with a facelift A3 with these lights. Can anyone else try it out??

Thanks again

Yeah will check etka for yer fella & update later so we can assess this, been playing with coding with Stu & wiring through the day so me heads got its own long coding to do now, lol

Checked elsawin, low & behold its the same bulb for drl & sidelights, it has 1 feed wire & I suspect it alters the power to it for brightness dependent on the switch position, so thats maybe resolved interms of how it works, now all we gotta work out is how to get the drl's back with leaving home enabled, but what is "Assistance Driving Light" is this drl, sidelights, low beam etc, nice to know what this means as might help

This sidelight/drl link is on my mind given same wiring & bulb, thats I think the problem, it cant differentiate between 2 so it switches the power of full stop maybe, question fella, when you have leaving home enabled, then switch it to the sidelights position, do the sidelights work?

So now we have more info for Sebastian aswell, we need to look at any sidelight settings to, but overall its maybe as I originally thought IMHO that it needs additional options listed in byte 21 for the newer style halogen headlights with drl, then it would work, be interesting to see if its already come to light(excuse the punt, lol)

Sorry if I go on but also thinking in my head as I type, hope you understand my thought process here given how audi wire things

Thanks Nigel for all your help. I know this is only a very minor issue but I'd like to try and get it sorted.

Have you raised your problems (including this one) with Ross-Tech?

I have e-mailed Ross-Tech support (twice) and also Sebastian. (I do have a registered genuine cable). Do Ross-Tech acknowledge e-mails or do they store them and try and resolve a problem and let you know when/if they can sort it.

I found the following post by Sebastian in a posting called "Service indicator reset - Flexible service". I know this isn't linked to my issue per se, but his comment (below) indicates that if we don't report problems they wont get fixed. I think I have a problem (albeit small) which hopefully could be fixed by reprogramming/ software update.

post_old.gif
4 Weeks Ago
Sebastian
user_offline.gif

1st Gear

We did some modifications and optimizations, that is most likely what happened. However, if you are experience problems like that you may wanna give us a call or email us so we can check if we can reproduce and fix the problem... If nobody reports a problem its unlikely to get fixed...

Sebastian (I am unabe to PM you!), if you do read this are you able to have a look at it or at least reply to my e-mail to say its being looked at or it can't be done!

Many Thanks, (in anticaption)

Neil

Hi Guys, I've had a reply from Bruce at Ross Tech on another forum which I hijacked as follows:-

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=309658&posted=1#post309658

Judging from what I saw, you should perform the [Options][Test] and see if you are able to connect on both K-Lines. You could have a module in the car hanging one of the diagnostic buses, thereby interfering with the communications to all modules on that bus. If the test comes back that all is ok, then I think the tech guys at the office need to jump in to give further

Being fairly new to this can anyone hold my hand please

I personally am not sure its anything to do with that at all, cause you can connect to all the options on the headlights, vcds isnt showing have an option to set for halogens with drl, its not in the list, so gotta be something they need to add or figure why one settings disables a completely different one, yes on headlights but its on same bus I would guess so cant see it personally.

What I thinks funny is Bruce says a reply within a day, so far I reported an issue what a month ago & no replies back on that issue with what can be or if been fixed, which most recent release hasnt, plus reported/asked other questions & havnt had answers about them either, not impressed to say the least!!!

& he means when you initially click on vcds to open, click on options like when you 1st used it & you had to test the connection & save it, just do same again & make sure the test result says connected all ok & there are no "No's" in the connection test

First of all let me say I am sorry for not replying earlier, I was looking at this but the reality that VCDS wise there is nothing wrong here. Once that was clear I tried to obtain more information and things like that simply take time. It's not like Audi is handing is all of this on a silver platter.

If you mess something up with a modification you can always revert to the original setting and either stick with that or start out from scratch.

We do not have solutions for all requests and problems when somebody is trying to make modifications to a car, we do not have access to all information the vehicle manufacturer may have. However, we are trying our best to fulfill and answer all customer requests. Please understand that every once a while we need to prioritize the incoming requests and that for example a customer with a broken down car may get more priority than a mis-behaving DRL. There is nothing personal or anything else involved, so please do not take that by any means personal.

Last but not least, I have not forgotten this but so far simply haven't found a satisfying answer for you.

Thanks for your reply Sebastian.

I appreciate its not a major issue, I am completely happy to wait.

I just wasn't sure how to contact you, or whether my communication had been received.

Thanks for your time in replying.

I can only echo what others have said about vag-com - its a great piece of kit and I'm learning every day.

Regards

Neil

Would this also apply to the module 46 issue I reported a month ago with data emailed 3 weeks back?

& I do think Neil would have been more at ease if he had actually got some reply, given he asked several times, asked me to email you & involved another forum to which Bruce got involved, do you see the point we're making.

To add to anyone reading, no BS VCDS is a wonderful tool & I've always said this, its well worth the money I paid without kissing upto the man, it has saved me thousands really has.

This is very interesting indeed even if it is A5 chassis, havnt read it all but something to ponder over given it has some relevance to your issue aswell as it mentions about drl's dimming or off etc with sidelights, what you think Sebastian:

http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a5vagcodes.html

& this seems to mention about drl settings, again this is relevant to A5 but its very coincidental its around your issue kinda no??

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/some-new-lighting-3490/index.html

Maybe this does have more in common than we think given this comment on 1st link:

UPDATE 4.8.2008: Sebastian from Ross-Tech comments there that A5 coding is surprisingly close to A3 (and unlike A6) in many parts.

Is it possible the N module has certain options RT arent aware of that are similar to the A5 info in links above which would give alot more flexibility over the DRL's & maybe resolve this issue

I was wondering if vcds needs a different label file for the N version to show the additional/different bit representations, cause its a very new module & from label files I saw they're fairly generic without a letter to supersede the module part number within VCDS labels folder, which is ok if the Basic/High modules all have the same byte/bits representations & the only differences are the higher bytes have added features, but its maybe possible some bytes/bits on the N module arent the same as older ones, eg, Byte 00 bit 3 could mean drl on for a K module, but for an N module could mean drl off, if you get me

I also understand the blank bytes can be altered manually with hex which then shows boxes without labels for the tickboxes, but unless you know what they represent its pretty risky business as per links above for A5 also denotes, which I actually realised this some weeks back while installing new 09 module K, cause you dont know what they enable/disable, guess thats how they found out things on the A5 was by chance

Just so you know Neil, I have just met up with Recy G in his S3 and tried enabling CH/LH. His car is the same as your in that as soon as you select LH the headlights use the dipped beam as the DRL.

Doesn't help you I know but at least we know it's not just your car, just cabrios or even just cars with halogens!

Uh you're saying when you enable leaving home it changes the drl light from the more central lamp to the dipped xenon, or you saying when you enable leaving home the dipped xenon is coming on when unlocking car, you're not confusing drl with leaving home are you Staz? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Uh you're saying when you enable leaving home it changes the drl light from the more central lamp to the dipped xenon, or you saying when you enable leaving home the dipped xenon is coming on when unlocking car, you're not confusing drl with leaving home are you Staz? Or am I misunderstanding you?

No I'm not confusing DRLs for LH Nigel! Give me SOME credit! :scared2:

The DRL changes from the LEDs to the dipped beam.

phew, thanks Leon. Other than what Nigel has said I thought I was going mad.

I'm pleased someone else has had this problem (if you know what I mean!).

phew, thanks Leon. Other than what Nigel has said I thought I was going mad.

I'm pleased someone else has had this problem (if you know what I mean!).

lol yeah I know what you mean of course.

Bye the way leon, I could read your posts all day long.
Those young ladies are hot:wub:

Its what I was gassing about last night I'm sure of it, RT need to update to a new label file for N modules in 09 & newer as per the A5 info, give it a good read cause I think there are far more drl settings on new modules than it shows in current label files, as they use 2-4 label files which actually arent specific to your module it assumes its same for yours, but I think its wrong, I could be incorrect but its funny how now 2 people have newer facelift cars with similar issues & they would both have newer boards installed for sure.

Neil has the newer vcds releases added a new headlight option for your halogens with drl & if so or not have you resolved the original issues we were trying to work out?

Hi Nigel, not used my VDS for a while. I'll have a look tomorrow mate