1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRL headlight function

cosmicblue Nov 5, 2005

1. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

The latest 2006 MY Xenon headlamp design has a curious feature - presumably intended for our American cousins in that it has optional day-time running lights (DRL) - controlled by a separate switch.

In addition to the side-lights the inner headlamp positions (normally occupied by the high-beam driving lights there is a single filament (I'd guess 21watt) bulb.

Adjacent to the interior fascia lighting dimmer switch is another roller switch (like a headlamp height adjuster) marked with the label DRL with two positions 0 and 1.

With the side or headlamps on selecting position 1, provides a brighter (than the standard 5watt sides) light - giving the car a 4-eyed appearance.

Given that such a feature isn't a mandatory requirement in the UK one can only guess that it is cheaper for Audi to install these tyep of headlamp for all markets.

(I tried to upload a photo to the gallery without success).

2. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

Mis-information from me - the DRLs go out if the the headlight switch is moved to the side lights position - I wonder if that can be changed?