Driving with earphones in. Ok or not ok?

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I see quite a few people driving with earphones (the bud type ones) in nowadays. I suppose it's no worse than having your stereo up loud - except your stereo doesn't block your ear canals of all outside noise, like sirens etc.

Am I being overly fussy, or do others see a problem with doing this?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I personally don't think it should be allowed. They are not 100% aware of road noises going on around them and also, there concentration levels wont be 100% either.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Raiden, Scottyg and 2 others
I'm glad it's not just me then. I thought I was turning into a grumpy old codger now that I've hit 40, but that makes me feel better that you agree.

Reactions: Scottyg, Jake 61 and Sandra
As a Senior HSE Advisor by day, I would consider the use of any Device using headphones, ear buds, or similar, a distraction.
If you are unaware of what is going on around you because of an audio device, then you are distracted from whatever you are doing, driving included.
You are also very likely to fall foul of the law.

Check this; http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/using-ipod-while-driving.html

It very much bugs the hell out of me personally, at work or in a vehicle.

And don't get me started on idiot cyclists who use head sets - absolute muppets....!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Spiedhermonkey, Scottyg and 1 other person
I agree, i think its wrong too, even worse is when I see people driving with actual over the head, headphones on!!!

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey, Jake 61 and Sandra
In the past I have been a said muppet on a bike with earphones on. On the road that use to get me to my off road rails I always kept the sound very low so I could hear everything around me. Turned them up when I got to the trails. But, I agree 100%, it's distracting.

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey, Jake 61 and Sandra
In the past I have been a said muppet on a bike with earphones on. On the road that use to get me to my off road rails I always kept the sound very low so I could hear everything around me. Turned them up when I got to the trails. But, I agree 100%, it's distracting.

Yes, but you're one of our Muppets, @Scottyg so that's ok.

:friends:

Reactions: KrisKrk, Sandra and Scottyg
What about driving with hoodies up and ear phones gerrr !

Driving with hoodies up could take this thread into a whole new relam of what you should or should not have over your head whilst driving. Personally, anything that possibly could obscure your vision is 100% a no no. Including head scarfs, hoodies, or anything similar.

Reactions: Jake 61 and xpoweruk
Just seen 2 Fiesta boys this afternoon in Cleveleys hoodies up what a pair both in convoy

Reactions: Scottyg
Think they are down on the street

In my day, driving with ear buds in is a straight foreword case of driving without due care & attention

Idiots!

Reactions: Jake 61
Just brainless stupidity.
There aren't enough of them getting pulled over for it these days and unfortunately, it has become an unacceptable norm.

:sadlike:

Reactions: KrisKrk
Earphones and hoodies have nothing on the countless idiots I see using their phones behind the wheel.

And don't get me started on idiot cyclists who use head sets - absolute muppets....!

I was almost run over yesterday by a cyclist coming towards me on the pavement. He had earphones in AND was texting while he was riding, so could not see or hear me. I was just wondering which way to jump, when he looked up and saw me in the nick of time! :rage:

Reactions: Jake 61
Back in the day when i was a boy you got a rocket up you if caught riding on footpath pavement etc off your local copper

Reactions: Sandra