1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving me mad!!

QuottroA4 Sep 13, 2009

1. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Can I throw this one out to the forum as I am going slowly mad trying to figure out this problem!! :keule:

I have a droning noise come from what I think is the exhaust which only happens under load between 1900 and 2400rpm. It is most noticable on the daul carriagway or motorway when accelerating in 5th or 6th gear.

I also still have the old problem of my exhaust resernating at idle (esp when cold) which has seemed to remain constent and not go any worse.

I think both the issues are linked as both involve the exhaust system. I have narrowed the possible causes down to:-

- Stiff flexi joint on cat unit
    - Stuffed hydraulic engine mount
    - Worn DMF (£££££££ :sadlike:)

Has anyone had experience of anything like this? I'm erring towards option 2 myself but cant be sure!!

Thank you in advance
    Rich :)

2. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Is the exhaust stock item , if so how old is it , do you feel there is a lose in power..

3. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Stock on a 52 plate = 117k

Had local indy garage look at it and they said they could find anything wrong, even took the cat of to have a look at it..

4. technics100

technics100 Member

I had a similar issue on one of my 100k + mileage diesel A4's, I think some passats suffer from similar symptoms. Apparently its because the flexi-joints in the exhaust harden up over time and the exhaust note changes.. I never did much about it. You could try a new flexi joint and see.

5. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Theres an exhaust pace just across from whereI work, they said th coud chap the old one out and weld a new ne in situ from 80 quid. Might give them a shout to see if they can do it. If it still persists then it must be an engine mount as the car does move when I 'pep' the acelerator at tick over..

6. johnny_m

johnny_m Member

Hi QuattroA4, Did you manage to get to the bottom of your vibrating exhaust i have the same problem ..........

Many Thanks

John.