1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving me mad!!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by QuottroA4, Sep 13, 2009.

1. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Can I throw this one out to the forum as I am going slowly mad trying to figure out this problem!! :keule:

I have a droning noise come from what I think is the exhaust which only happens under load between 1900 and 2400rpm. It is most noticable on the daul carriagway or motorway when accelerating in 5th or 6th gear.

I also still have the old problem of my exhaust resernating at idle (esp when cold) which has seemed to remain constent and not go any worse.

I think both the issues are linked as both involve the exhaust system. I have narrowed the possible causes down to:-

- Stiff flexi joint on cat unit
    - Stuffed hydraulic engine mount
    - Worn DMF (£££££££ :sadlike:)

Has anyone had experience of anything like this? I'm erring towards option 2 myself but cant be sure!!

Thank you in advance
    Rich :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Is the exhaust stock item , if so how old is it , do you feel there is a lose in power..

4. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Stock on a 52 plate = 117k

Had local indy garage look at it and they said they could find anything wrong, even took the cat of to have a look at it..

5. technics100

technics100 Member

I had a similar issue on one of my 100k + mileage diesel A4's, I think some passats suffer from similar symptoms. Apparently its because the flexi-joints in the exhaust harden up over time and the exhaust note changes.. I never did much about it. You could try a new flexi joint and see.

6. QuottroA4

QuottroA4 Member

Theres an exhaust pace just across from whereI work, they said th coud chap the old one out and weld a new ne in situ from 80 quid. Might give them a shout to see if they can do it. If it still persists then it must be an engine mount as the car does move when I 'pep' the acelerator at tick over..

7. johnny_m

johnny_m Member

Hi QuattroA4, Did you manage to get to the bottom of your vibrating exhaust i have the same problem ..........

Many Thanks

John.