Driving an A3 quattro

batwad

Reaction score
So I've had my car over a week now and am loving it, but most of the driving I've done so far has been run-of-the-mill commuting. When the opportunities have arisen I've tried to give it some stick and push it to see what it can do and, as Borat would say, "I like :)".

I've already established that the best way to get a rocket pullaway is to disable ESP and go for it, thereby preventing the embarrassing kangarooing that my first few attempts to impress my mates resulted in :blush: :lmfao: Also, I've found a booting round roundabouts gets the ESP light flashing, resulting in understeer but plenty of grip. I haven't yet been presented with a clear enough to try it with ESP off :ohmy:

The roads so far have also been pretty dry and, with winter upon us and dodgy weather on its way, I'm wondering how the car will behave in less clement conditions. This is my first 4WD car too and I'm not entirely sure yet how I need to adjust my driving style. :readit: :racer:

So rather than end up in a ditch, I was hoping you experienced folks could give me an idea what to expect from driving a Haldex and any tips on driving style or if I should do anything in particular if I find myself heading towards a sticky situation (apart from brace ;))

yes mate i got a fantastic tip, a3's have got fantastic power and torque for a small relatively light car.

take it down an A-road with no gatso's on it, put your lead boots on and make it 2am so you get the feel of the red glow from inside your car (dials etc) and the white light beamin from the front of your car, whilst your pelting 140mph, which feels like 20 in a skoda felicia.

just my advice.

:blackrs4: :scared2:

Just remember if things start getting really pearshaped don't lift off, keep your foot on the power or you've lost the advantage of 4WD.

And remember slow in fast out with the power on through the bend.

I like this time of year best in the S3, cold air, wet roads. Bliss.

ive got the quattro as well, and yes dont lift off, the car can go round corners at speeds i neva thaught was possable when i first got mine, the only thing stoppin me was my balls lol!:rolleyes: didnt wanna end up in a ditch either. ESP is esp good in the wet as i found out wen i decided to turn it off and almost ended up on the pavement, again the product of lifting off.

oh and if if u havent already..a remap makes it even betta mate. not much keeps up with ya round corners, other than our S3 friends :blackrs4:

We had a really cold snap the end of last year with snow and ice everywhere. I shat myself when I tried to stop for an accident! My ABS went ballistic! I didn't think it was gonna stop! Anybody else think the ABS may be a little TOO intrusive at times?

Rich

as said 100's of times, dont lift off, unless your mid corner and want some oversteer ;)

tommo-turbo said:
We had a really cold snap the end of last year with snow and ice everywhere. I shat myself when I tried to stop for an accident! My ABS went ballistic! I didn't think it was gonna stop! Anybody else think the ABS may be a little TOO intrusive at times?

Rich

yeah but snow is bad at the best of times, feels like your brakes dont even work under harsh braking because the ABS keeps unlocking the wheels. sometimes a small skid would be easier. not found it that intrusive, only under really harsh braking ive had it come in.

Be nice and smooth, power on through corners, drive through rather than trailing the throttle. Try to get in the meaty part of the torque band. Use this rather than revs to load up the drive to the haldex, getting the back wheels pushing... This seems to settle the car and drives you round nicely.

Oh, and get a remap to fatten up the torque delivery...

Enjoy!

In slow. Out fast. Don't drive into a corner too quick as it will probably understeer, and you'll end up in a hedge, ditch, stone wall.....
Use the extra grip that quattro gives you to get the power on earlier than you would in a two wheel drive car.
I'm not sure about the TDi, but be careful if you left foot brake. In my DBW 1.8T the throttle cuts when you do this. Something to do with cruise control I think.
I'm not sure about anyone else, but my A3 mildly oversteers under power, which is nice. I'm not sure how the Haldex manages that, but itwears my rear tyres quicker than the fronts.

I agree about the snow. Bring back the old ABS cancel button.

rickquattro said:
Be nice and smooth, power on through corners, drive through rather than trailing the throttle. Try to get in the meaty part of the torque band. Use this rather than revs to load up the drive to the haldex, getting the back wheels pushing... This seems to settle the car and drives you round nicely.

Oh, and get a remap to fatten up the torque delivery...

Enjoy!

Defo and having R32 ARB setup has worked wonders for the understeer problems i ever had, Now i can keep turning into the corners rather than going out wide, its great! And thanks for Essthree's advice!

Secret Squirrel said:
In slow. Out fast. Don't drive into a corner too quick as it will probably understeer, and you'll end up in a hedge, ditch, stone wall.....
Use the extra grip that quattro gives you to get the power on earlier
QUOTE]

The quattro does feel like it changes understeer to slight oversteer, but I am sure its still possible to end up in a hedge, ditch, stone wall... except that it may well be faster, harder, more violent, painful, expensive....